Overview of the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe
Technavio’s market research analyst predicts that the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe will grow at a CAGR of more than 5% by 2020. The industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe growth is primarily due to the national legislation on water treatment methods and the alignment of water quality standards with the European Union (EU) directives. The introduction of stringent regulations regarding water conservation and wastewater management within the industrial processes have propelled several industries to opt for better water treatment facilities, such as treating effluent water. The adoption of better and efficient water treatment facilities with effective chemicals usage improves the quantity of the water available for recycling and reuse and also reduces the level of water pollutants in the discharged water. This helps the industries to reuse their process water extensively, rather than discharging it into the environment.
Germany is the largest market for the water treatment chemicals and is expected to occupy around 30% of the overall market share by 2020. Much of this region’s growth can be attributed to the presence of many industries and the introduction of stringent regulations, which are imposed by regulatory authorities to treat industrial water. Several stringent regulations like the urban wastewater directive, priority substances directive, water framework directive, and sewage sludge directive necessitate the treatment of wastewater in the country. Furthermore, the growing need for innovative, sustainable, and economically viable water and wastewater treatment solutions is also expected to drive market growth in Germany during the forecast period.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
This market is highly competitive and includes companies that manufacture chemicals for treating water in the water treatment plants, service providers that provide value-added services in addition to the chemicals supplied, distributors that cater to the smaller end-user segments, and the agents that supply products in highly localized and regional markets. These participants directly deal with customers that have large bulk requirements. They provide all the required essential services including analytical services like laboratory, water analysis, equipment solutions, consulting services, inventory management, knowledge management, onsite services, and web-based monitoring.
Leading vendors in the market include -
- Akzo Nobel
- Calgon Carbon
Other prominent vendors in the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe are American Water Works Company, BWA Water Additives UK, ChemTreat, Dow Chemical, Lonza Group, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, and Suez Environnement Company.
Segmentation by application and analysis of the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe
- Process water treatment
- Effluent water treatment
- Raw water treatment
According to our industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe forecast, the process water treatment segment will continue to dominate the market during the forecast period and is expected to hold more than 47% of the overall market space. This mode of water treatment mainly focuses on solutions related to the boiler and cooling water, closed circuit systems, heat exchangers, and cooling towers. The most common chemicals used in the process water treatment are scale and corrosion inhibitors, biocides, antifoaming agents, dispersants, cleaners, and antiscalants. This market segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 6% during the forecast period.
Segmentation by type and analysis of the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe
- Scale corrosion inhibitors
- Coagulants and flocculants
- Antifoaming agents
- Activated carbon
- Reverse osmosis
- Odor control removal
The scale corrosion inhibitors segment dominates the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe and is expected to occupy more than 36% of the total market share by 2020. Scale formation in water is prevented by controlling scale-forming salts and removing them from the process system. Phosphate ester, phosphonates, and polymers are the three commonly used classes of scale inhibitors. Corrosion inhibitors protect the metal surface either by forming a barrier through nitrate- and molybdate-based corrosion inhibitors or by reducing the rate of reaction through sulfite- and silica-based corrosion inhibitors.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of Europe.
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Market overview
- Research methodology
PART 03: Market research methodology
PART 04: Introduction
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market size and forecast
- Five forces analysis
- Industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe by application
PART 06: Market segmentation by application
- Process water treatment chemicals market in Europe
- Effluent water treatment chemicals market in Europe
- Raw water treatment chemicals market in Europe
- Market definition and overview
PART 07: Market segmentation by type
- Industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe by type
PART 08: Market segmentation by country
- Industrial water treatment chemicals market in Europe by country
- Industrial water treatment chemicals market in Germany
- Industrial water treatment chemicals market in UK
- Industrial water treatment chemical market in France
- Industrial water treatment chemicals market in Italy
- Industrial water treatment chemicals market in other countries
PART 09: Market drivers
PART 10: Impact of drivers
PART 11: Market challenges
PART 12: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 13: Market trends
PART 14: Vendor landscape
- Competitive scenario
- Major market vendors
- Other prominent vendors
PART 15: Key vendor analysis
- Calgon Carbon
- List of abbreviations
PART 16: Appendix
PART 17: Explore Technavio
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Manufacturers and suppliers
- Channel partners
- Industry experts
- Strategic decision makers
- Industry journals and periodicals
- Government data
- Financial reports of key industry players
- Historical data
- Press releases
- Collation of data
- Estimation of key figures
- Analysis of derived insights
- Triangulation with data models
- Reference against proprietary databases
- Corroboration with industry experts
- Market drivers
- Market challenges
- Market trends
- Five forces analysis
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape