Global Large Area Displays Market 2017-2021
- Published: Jan 2017
- Pages: 74
- SKU: IRTNTR11503
The 2022-2026 version of this report is just being published. Buy it now and get up to $1000 worth of free customization!
This market research report identifies suppliers like LG Display, Samsung Display, Innolux, AU Optronics, and BOE Technology to be the key vendors in the global large area displays market. It also presents a detailed segmentation of the global market by technology (LCD and OLED/AMOLED), by application (televisions, notebooks, monitors, and tablets) and by geography (the Americas, APAC, and EMEA).
Overview of the global large area displays market
Technavio’s market research analyst predicts the global large area displays market to grow steadily at a CAGR of around 2% by 2021. One of the primary growth drivers for this market is the rise in investments in the organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays. OLED displays are thinner, lighter, more flexible, and emit brighter colors than the existing display technologies such as liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Curved OLED TVs and other devices that utilize this feature offer a better viewing angle to the users. OLED displays consume less power because of the presence of phosphorescent organic material, which has a good conversion rate. Owing to the above advantages, established players are investing heavily in the R&D and large scale production of the OLED technology. For instance, LG Display is the pioneer in OLED technology and has a huge portfolio of OLED TVs. The company announced to make large-scale investments to expand and build a new plant to produce OLED displays in 2015. This plant is expected to start its production by 2018, which will provide OLED displays for automotive, TVs, and wearables.
In terms of geography, APAC accounted for the maximum market share during 2016 and will continue to dominate the market for the next few years. The high concentration of display device manufacturers and LCD and OLED/AMOLED panel manufacturers in the region is the major contributor to the growth of the large area display market. China is emerging as a leading hub for large area LCD and OLED/AMOLED display manufacturers. This increasing concentration of manufacturers in the area can be attributed to the availability of abundant resources, proximity to customer locations, growing demand in the domestic market, and availability of low-cost labor in the country. Moreover, the well-established supply chain for display devices in APAC will support the regions' dominance in the market during the forecast period.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
Due to the high cost of manufacturing the large are display panels require economies of scale, as the equipment used to manufacture displays are extremely expensive. This presents major entry barriers for panel manufacturers. OLED/AMOLED panels are comparatively newer in the display industry and are yet to attain economies of scale. However, the technological expertise and investments required for the manufacture of OLED/AMOLED display panels primarily dependent on the major players in the LCD panel manufacturing segment, and hence the entry in OLED/AMOLED display panel manufacturing is largely restricted for smaller vendors. The increasing competition from Chinese vendors will force the manufacturers to either lower profit margins or shift to different technologies like quantum dots LCDs and OLEDs.
Leading vendors in the market are -
- LG Display
- Samsung Display
- AU Optronics
- BOE Technology
Other prominent vendors in the large area displays market include Chi Mei Optoelectronics, Chunghwa Picture Tubes (CPT), HannsTouch Solution, HannStar Display, InfoVision Optoelectronics, Japan Display, Kaohsiung Opto-Electronics, NEC Display Solutions, Panasonic, and Sharp.
Segmentation by technology and analysis of the large area displays market
During 2016, the LCD display segment dominated the large area displays market and accounted for a major part of the overall market share. This dominance can be attributed to the large-scale manufacturing of LCDs to achieve economies of scale. Technological advances in the media and communications industry worldwide have led to a rise in the demand for high-quality video content. With the growth in broadband and mobile Internet infrastructure and easy availability of high-end communication and entertainment devices, the increase in consumption of HD and UHD videos, the global market for LCDs will continue to grow over the next few years.
Segmentation by application and analysis of the large area displays market
In this market study, analysts have estimated the television segment to dominate the large area displays market during the forecast period. This market dominance can be attributed to the rising demand of 4K TVs of forty inches and larger. This trend for large-screen size televisions has increased the average screen size for LCD and LED televisions. The exponentially rising demand for larger display televisions have increased competition among vendors. This competition will lead to a decline in the prices of 4K televisions, resulting in higher unit shipments of large-area displays during the forecast period.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2021?
- What are the key factors driving the global large area displays market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the global large area displays market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in the global large area displays market?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global large area displays market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, and EMEA.
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the global large area displays market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
PART 03: Research Methodology
PART 04: Introduction
- Key market highlights
- Display industry overview
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market overview
- Market size and forecast by revenue
- Market size and forecast by unit shipments
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by technology
- Global large area LCDs market
- Global large area OLED/AMOLED displays market
PART 07: Market segmentation by application
- Global large area television displays market
- Global large area notebook displays market
- Global large area monitor displays market
- Global large area tablet displays market
- Global large area other displays market
PART 08: Geographical segmentation
- Large area displays market in APAC
- Large area displays market in Americas
- Large area displays market in EMEA
PART 09: Market drivers
- Adoption of digital displays over traditional advertisement methods
- High investments in OLED displays
- Technological developments in LCDs
- Establishment of UHD alliance
- Shifting consumer interest toward 2-in-1 convertible PCs
PART 10: Impact of drivers
PART 11: Market challenges
- Cyclic nature of display industry
- Declining shipments of notebooks and monitors
- High manufacturing and retail costs and short life span of OLED displays
PART 12: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 13: Market trends
- Interest toward large size screen products
- Increased investment in fabs
- Reduced thickness of LCD glass substrates
- Growing popularity of curved displays
- Growing popularity of flexible displays
- Growing popularity of 3D display
PART 14: Vendor landscape
- Competitive scenario
PART 15: Vendor landscape
- LG Display
- Samsung Display
- AU Optronics
- BOE Technology
- Other prominent vendors
PART 16: Appendix
- List of abbreviations
PART 17: Explore Technavio
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape
Get your FREE sample now!
Get the report (PDF) sent to your email within minutes.
Subscribe & Save
Get lifetime access to our
Did you know?
Did you know?
Did you know?
Want to customize this report?
This report can be personalized according to your needs. Our analysts and industry experts will work directly with you to understand your requirements and provide you with customized data in a short amount of time.