Overview of the global IGBT-based power module market
Market research analysts at Technavio have predicted that the global IGBT-based power module market will grow steadily at a CAGR of more than 8% by 2020. HVDC technology is primarily used for efficiently transmitting large amounts of electricity over long distances. Motors, lights, and other high-power applications use AC voltage. AC voltage produced at the source has the need to be converted to DC power for reducing transmission losses and then converted back to AC electricity at the destination. Voltage-source converters employed for this purpose use insulated-gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) power modules for high voltage applications. HDVC technology involves fewer transmission lines, less land to set up transmission lines, and incur fewer transmission losses. Also, HVDC systems are more stable, can be easily controlled, and can be interconnected with AC power networks, which will, in turn, increase the adoption of HVDC systems in the power sector.
The need to improve performance and reduce cost and weight of vehicles have led to rapid advances in the automotive electrical and electronic design. Electric vehicles have a much faster response time than mechanical automobiles, and there is a rising demand for electric and hybrid electric vehicles across the globe. IGBT inverters are employed in EVs to convert DC to AC and use thyristors as the power switching device. High-power thyristors are also used in soft starters for electric motors in EVs. The growing adoption of electric vehicles will lead to the rise in the usage of high-power thyristors, which, in turn, will contribute to the growth of the market.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
Due to the presence of a several IGBT manufacturers, this market appears to be relatively fragmented. The vendor competition in the market is intense and mainly attributes to the strong position of the existing vendors. The requirement of high capital is one of the major barriers that restricts the entry of new players in the market. Technological advances in the power semiconductor industry will further intensify the competition among vendors in the coming years.
The prominent vendors in the market are -
- Fairchild Semiconductor
- Fuji Electric
- Infineon Technologies
Segmentation by application and analysis of the IGBT-based power module market
- Consumer appliances
- Industrial motor drives
- Power supplies
- Renewable energy
- Railroad traction
During 2015, the industrial motor drives market segment accounted for more than 50% of the total IGBT-based power module market shares and dominated the industry. This segment’s growth is mainly driven by the increasing need to reduce energy loss in industrial motor drives. IGBTs provide dynamic range control, and the growing adoption of variable speed motor drives increases the use of IGBTs.
Geographical segmentation and analysis of the IGBT-based power module market
This market study estimates that APAC will account for more than 66% shares of the global IGBT-based power module market by 2020 and will also dominate this market throughout the forecast period. The increasing demand for power and infrastructure and economic growth in developing countries such as China, India, and South Korea will be major factors fueling the growth of the market in this region. Additionally, rapid industrialization, the rise in demand for efficient energy sources, and the need to reduce CO₂ emissions will also lead to the rise in demand for IGBT power modules from this region.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the IGBT-based power module market size and growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the global IGBT-based power module market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the global IGBT-based power module market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in the global IGBT-based power module market?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global IGBT-based power module market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, and EMEA.
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the global IGBT-based power module market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Content
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Report overview
- Base year and forecast period
- Geographical segmentation
- Common currency conversion rates
- Top-vendor offerings
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
- Key market highlights
- Technology landscape
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market overview
- Product life cycle of IGBT-based power module
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by application
- Global IGBT-based power module market by application
- IGBT-based power module market by industrial motor drives application
- IGBT-based power module market by renewable energy application
- IGBT-based power module market by railroad traction application
- IGBT-based power module market by consumer appliances application
- IGBT-based power module market by power supplies application
PART 07: Geographical segmentation
- Global IGBT-based power module market by geography
- Market size and forecast
- IGBT-based power module market in APAC
- IGBT-based power module market in EMEA
- IGBT-based power module market in Americas
PART 08: Market drivers
- Demand for modular power solutions in renewable energy applications
- Increasing need for higher power density
- Need for IGBT-based power modules in rail traction
- Need for energy savings
- Growing penetration of HVDC lines
PART 09: Impact of drivers
PART 10: Market challenges
- Grid fault in power semiconductor devices
- Reduction in size of IGBT modules leading to high power dissipation
- Emerging market for GaN and SiC power semiconductors
PART 11: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 12: Market trends
- Increase in demand for electric and hybrid vehicles
- Increasing adoption of clean energy sources
- Increased demand for copper wire for interconnections
PART 13: Vendor landscape
PART 14: Summary of market figures
PART 15: Appendix
PART 16: Explore Technavio
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Manufacturers and suppliers
- Channel partners
- Industry experts
- Strategic decision makers
- Industry journals and periodicals
- Government data
- Financial reports of key industry players
- Historical data
- Press releases
- Collation of data
- Estimation of key figures
- Analysis of derived insights
- Triangulation with data models
- Reference against proprietary databases
- Corroboration with industry experts
- Market drivers
- Market challenges
- Market trends
- Five forces analysis
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape