Overview of the global table tennis equipment market
The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF), the governing body for Table Tennis events worldwide, is focusing on expanding the scope of the game by developing the skills of the players and holding training programs to increase regular participation worldwide. Since it is the national sport of China, there is a high availability of experienced Chinese table tennis coaches across the globe who help in developing the skills and standards of the players. The high-level table tennis training offered by these coaches have led to the increased participation of quality players in the major table tennis tournaments. The latest trend in the market is the use of robots for table tennis practice and leisure games. Factors such as difficulty in finding a partner to play have boosted the popularity of robots in table tennis. The table tennis robot is more accurate and has the ability to place the balls in more than six different positions in the sequence. The advent of such advanced robots in the market has surged their applications in many table tennis clubs and home tables. Technavio’s market research analyst predicts that the global table tennis equipment market will grow at a steady CAGR of more than 2% by 2020.
APAC will continue to dominate the table tennis equipment market during the forecast period and is likely to occupy more than 65% of the overall market share. Much of the region’s growth primarily comes from China, which has the highest number of table tennis players in the world. Moreover, the availability of upgraded quality equipment, especially rackets, will drive the market in the region during the forecast period. The increasing number of players and tournaments in the region will also shoot up the sales of tennis equipment in the coming years.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
The market is primarily dominated by a few large vendors. With the sport increasingly becoming popular across the globe, vendors will have ample opportunities to explore the global market. The established vendors in the market are trying to increase their market shares by sponsoring table tennis rackets, balls, and tables in major table tennis tournaments like the Olympics, World Championship, and other national championships tournaments. These tournaments have proved to be one of the biggest platforms for the manufacturers to promote their products.
Leading players in the market include -
- Double Happiness (DHS)
Other prominent vendors in the table tennis equipment market include Andro, Cornilleau, Dr. Neubauer, G.K. Industries, Killerspin, Nittaku, SAN-EI, Stag, TIBHAR, Xiom, Xu Shaofa Sports, and Yasaka.
Segmentation by product and analysis of the table tennis equipment market
Table tennis racket, aka paddle and bat, is the largest segment of the global table tennis equipment market and is likely to occupy more than 58% of the total market share by 2020. The racket comprises of rubber and blades, which can be replaced. The players choose the rubber as per their playing style. Professional players frequently replace the rubber in their rackets, which is a major factor impelling the growth prospects for this market segment. The growing focus on innovations pertaining to the rubber and blade will increase the sales of table tennis rackets in the coming years as they play a vital role in the game.
Segmentation by retail formats and analysis of the table tennis equipment market
- Specialty and sports shops
- Department and discount stores
- Online retail
During 2015, the specialty and sports shops segment dominated the table tennis equipment market and accounted for more than 59% of the overall market share. These large specialty and sports shops have most brands of table tennis equipment. Consumers who prefer to try the products, including new launches, prefer to buy from these stores. With the wide availability of products in these retails stores, the segment will positively aid to the growth of the overall market during the forecast period.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the global table tennis equipment market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the global table tennis equipment market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in the global table tennis equipment market?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global table tennis equipment market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, Europe, and MEA.
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the global table tennis equipment market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
- Consumer Insights
PART 02: Scope of the report
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
- Key market highlights
- Global table tennis equipment market ecosystem
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market overview
- Market size and forecast
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by product
- Global table tennis racket market
- Global table tennis ball market
- Global table tennis table market
- Global table tennis others market
- Overall analysis of product segments
PART 07: Market segmentation by retail formats
PART 08: Geographical segmentation
- Table tennis equipment market in APAC
- Table tennis equipment market in Europe
- Table tennis equipment market in Americas
- Table tennis equipment market in MEA
PART 09: Key leading countries
PART 10: Market drivers
- Strong fan base
- Increasing initiatives to drive regular participation
- Modification in ball rules
- Health benefits among casual players
PART 11: Impact of drivers
PART 12: Market challenges
- Preference for rented racket and table
- Maturity in China
- Long replacement cycle of tables and blades
PART 13: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 14: Market trends
- Table and floor innovations
- Increasing celebrities' association with table tennis in the US
- Growing popularity of headis, header table tennis
- Increasing usage of robots
PART 15: Vendor landscape
- Key vendors 2015
- Double Happiness (DHS)
- Other prominent vendors
PART 16: Appendix
List of abbreviations
PART 17: Explore Technavio
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Manufacturers and suppliers
- Channel partners
- Industry experts
- Strategic decision makers
- Industry journals and periodicals
- Government data
- Financial reports of key industry players
- Historical data
- Press releases
- Collation of data
- Estimation of key figures
- Analysis of derived insights
- Triangulation with data models
- Reference against proprietary databases
- Corroboration with industry experts
- Market drivers
- Market challenges
- Market trends
- Five forces analysis
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape