Global Steel Scrap Market 2016-2020
- Published: Dec 2015
- Pages: 70
- SKU: IRTNTR7939
The 2022-2026 version of this report is just being published. Buy it now and get up to $1000 worth of free customization!
This market research and analysis presents a detailed segmentation of the global steel scrap market by grade (shredded, No.1 busheling, cut structural and plate, No.1 and electric furnace bundles, No.2 heavy metal steel and bundles, No.1 heavy metal, turnings and borings, slag, and others), by source (home scrap, prompt scrap, and obsolete scrap), and by geography (Americas, Asia, Europe, and ROW). The top vendors analyzed in this market study are AK Steel, ArcelorMittal, Baosteel Group, Nucor, and OmniSource.
Market outlook of the global steel scrap market
Technavio’s market research analyst estimates the global steel scrap market to post a slow but moderate CAGR of nearly 2% by 2020. The rising need to preserve natural resources, especially iron ore, is expected to result in this market’s moderate growth rate during the forecast period.
Geographically, the Asian region is predicted to dominate the global market for steel scraps during the forecast period. The recent restriction on the export of nickel ore by the Indonesian government is a significant factor that impels market growth in this region during the forecast period.
Source-based segmentation of the steel scrap market
In this market research report, analysts have estimated the obsolete segment to be the largest market segment during the projected period. The obsolete segment presently accounts for a market share of nearly 49% and consists of industrial sectors like automobiles, appliances, ships, and bridges. The growing need to properly dispose of all the waste materials generated by these industrial segments is envisaged to account for its high market share during the forecast period.
Segmentation by grade and analysis of the steel scrap market
- Shredded scrap
- No. 2 heavy metal steel and bundles
- No. 1 heavy metals
- No. 1 and electric furnace bundles
- Cut structural and plates
- No. 1 busheling
- Turnings and borings
Technavio market research analysts estimate the shredded steel scrap segment to account for a total market share of approximately 21% by 2020. Since this sector consists of homogeneous steel and scraps from auto bodies, the augmented need of disposing such materials is expected to result in market growth during the forecast period.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
The global steel scrap industry is similar to a pyramid structure, where most of the companies are located in the supplier’s segment. The competitive environment in this market is expected to intensify with an increase in scrap usage innovations and M&A in the coming years. The key players in this market are expected to diversify their geographical presence with a focus on APAC during the forecast period.
The leading vendors in this market are -
- AK Steel
- Bao Steel
The other prominent vendors analyzed in this market study include Anyang, Hebei Iron and Steel, Hyundai, Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal, and POSCO.
Key questions answered in the report
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the global steel scrap market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the global steel scrap market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in the global steel scrap market?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global steel scrap market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, Asia, Europe, and ROW?
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the global steel scrap market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Market overview
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
- Key market highlights
- Scrap sorting and preparation techniques
- Imports and exports
PART 05: Value chain
- Steel industry value chain
- Flow of steel scrap
PART 06: Market landscape
- Global steel scrap market
- Five forces analysis
PART 07: Market segmentation by grade
- Global shredded steel scrap market
- Global no.2 heavy metal steel and bundles steel scrap market
- Global no.1 heavy metal steel scrap market
- Global no.1 and electric furnace bundles steel scrap market
- Global cut structural and plate steel scrap market
- Global no.1 busheling steel scrap market
- Global turnings and borings steel scrap market
- Global slag steel scrap market
- Global steel scrap market for other grades
PART 08: Market segmentation by source
- Global obsolete steel scrap market
- Global home steel scrap market
- Global prompt steel scrap market
PART 09: Geographical segmentation
- Steel scrap market in Asia
- Steel scrap market in Europe
- Steel scrap market in Americas
- Steel scrap market in ROW
PART 10: Market drivers
- Concern toward global warming
- Increase in use of lower quality grades
- Ban on nickel ore exports and expansion of plants
PART 11: Impact of drivers
PART 12: Market challenges
- Trade restrictions
- Long life of steel products
- Fluctuating iron ore prices
PART 13: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 14: Market trends
- Shift toward electric arc furnaces
- China to become self-sufficient in steel scrap
- Europe to absorb its domestic products
PART 15: Vendor landscape
- Competitive scenario
- Industry structure analysis
- Major vendors
- Other prominent vendors
PART 16: Key vendor analysis
- AK Steel
PART 17: Appendix
- List of abbreviation
PART 18: Explore Technavio
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape
Get your FREE sample now!
Get the report (PDF) sent to your email within minutes.
Subscribe & Save
Get lifetime access to our
Did you know?
Did you know?
Did you know?
Want to customize this report?
This report can be personalized according to your needs. Our analysts and industry experts will work directly with you to understand your requirements and provide you with customized data in a short amount of time.