Global Smart Polymers Market 2016-2020
- Published: Aug 2016
- Pages: 70
- SKU: IRTNTR10025
This market research report analyzes AkzoNobel, Autonomic Materials, Dow, and Huntsman as the key vendors in the global smart polymers market. This report presents a detailed segmentation of the market by application (smart drug delivery systems, tissue engineering, textile engineering, and others), by types (thermosensitive, pH-sensitive, natural origin, dual stimuli-responsiveness, light-sensitive, phase-sensitive, and magnetic-sensitive), and by geography (the Americas, APAC, and EMEA).
Global outlook of smart polymers market
Technavio's global smart polymers industry analysis predicts that the market will grow at a CAGR of around 20% by 2020. Smart polymers have promising applications in the biomedical field as conveyance systems of therapeutic agents, actuators systems, bio-separation devices, cell culture support systems, sensors, or tissue engineering frameworks. Recently, these polymers have come up with new application areas including medicinal diagnostics, pharmaceuticals, implants, and treatments sectors. They have properties like adaptability and compatibility that make them valuable in medical treatments involving the immune system. Manufacturers are formulating new polymeric materials that assist in biosensor designing, drug delivery systems, tissue engineering systems, wound treatment, and other metabolically controllable systems. Having enormous potential across different applications, the smart polymers market will witness rapid growth in the coming years.
The Americas is the major revenue contributing region in the smart polymers market and is likely to occupy more than 45% of the overall market revenue by 2020. Much of the region’s growth can be attributed to the growing focus on temperature and pH-sensitive polymers. With the governments trying to improve public healthcare systems, the demand for such smart polymers will increase significantly in the region’s medical industry. The smart polymers market in the region is anticipated to grow at a high CAGR of more than 22% during the predicted period.
What's your takeaway?
Technavio's industry research report on the global smart polymers market 2016-2020 help you-
- Identify latent opportunities and explorative solutions in the global smart polymers market: research report
- Identify your key competition, and what's making them tick?
- Help you build a comprehensive marketing plan, applicable across 50+ countries
Competitive landscape and key vendors
The increased consumption of smart polymers in different biomedical applications has opened up several opportunities for the market vendors as the market is projected to grow at a fast pace during the forecast period. The key players hold a very strong position in the market due to their vast geographical reach, product innovations, R&D, pricing, and quality. To sustain themselves in the intensely competitive market environment, vendors are focusing on maintaining a strong distribution network and formulation of application-specific finished smart polymer products. The entry of chemical giants in the market will intensify the competitive scenario in the market during the forecast period.
Leading vendors in the market are -
- Autonomic Materials
Segmentation by application and analysis of the smart polymers market
- Smart drug delivery systems
- Tissue engineering
- Textile engineering
The smart drug delivery systems will continue to dominate the smart polymers market during the forecast period and are envisaged to hold more than 38% of the total market share. There is growing demand for smart polymers in drug delivery that adjust their physicochemical properties due to small changes in environmental conditions and offer advanced techniques in dosage. Some of the recent innovations in this area include actively-controlled drug release, self-regulating or controlled delivery systems, capturing protein drugs in a polymer lattice without using organic solvents, and injectable in situ drug spot. The growing use of smart polymers as lattices in pharmaceutical dose formulations will boost the growth prospects for smart drug delivery systems segment in the coming years.
Segmentation by type and analysis of the smart polymers market
- Thermosensitive polymers
- pH-sensitive polymers
- Polymers of natural origin
- Polymers with dual stimuli-responsiveness
- Light-sensitive smart polymers
- Phase-sensitive smart polymers
- Magnetic-sensitive smart polymers
Thermosensitive polymers demonstrate sensitivity to temperature and change their properties accordingly. These smart polymers are mainly used in medication delivery systems and biomaterials. These polymer systems appear monophasic below a specific temperature and biphasic above it. They are known to exhibit lower critical solution temperature. This kind of smart polymers has the most number of applications owing to their exceptional sensitive balance between the hydrophobic and hydrophilic groups in their structure.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the global smart polymers market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the global smart polymers market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in the global smart polymers market?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global smart polymers market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, and EMEA.
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the global smart polymers market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Market overview
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
- Key market highlights
- Varied applications
- Advantages of smart polymers
- Future of smart polymers
PART 05: Market landscape
- Global smart polymers market outlook and forecast
- Product life cycle of smart polymers
PART 06: Market segmentation by application
- Global smart polymers market for smart drug delivery systems
- Global smart polymers market for tissue engineering
- Global smart polymers market for textile engineering
- Global smart polymers market for other applications
PART 07: Market segmentation by type
PART 08: Geographical segmentation
- Smart polymers market in Americas
- Smart polymers market in EMEA
- Smart polymers market in APAC
PART 09: Market drivers
- Use of controlled drug delivery using smart polymers
- Application of shape memory polymer in automotive industry
- Growing middle-class income in emerging economies
- Need for efficient technologies over existing ones
- Property of reversible phase transitions
- Promising applications in biomedical field
PART 10: Impact of drivers
PART 11: Market challenges
- Transformations in healthcare industry
- Concerns with use of smart polymers
PART 12: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 13: Market trends
- Enormous potential in different applications
- Evolution of drug delivery systems
- Key interest in immune system
PART 14: Vendor landscape
- Competitive scenario
- Global customer base concentration
- Porter's generic strategy
- Competitive advantage
- Key vendors
- Autonomic Materials
- Dow Chemical
- Huntsman International
PART 15: Appendix
- List of abbreviations
PART 16: Explore Technavio
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape
Get your FREE sample now!
Get the report (PDF) sent to your email within minutes.
Subscribe & Save
Get lifetime access to our
Did you know?
Did you know?
Did you know?
Want to customize this report?