Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market by Application and Geography - Forecast and Analysis 2020-2024
- Published: May 2021
- Pages: 120
- SKU: IRTNTR41650
Enjoy complimentary customisation on priority with our Enterprise License!
One user only.
Quick & easy download option
Unlimited user access (Within your organization)
Complimentary Customization Included
The antimicrobial susceptibility testing market share is expected to increase by USD 900.75 million from 2020 to 2024, and the market's growth momentum will accelerate at a CAGR of 5.37%. This antimicrobial susceptibility testing market research report provides valuable insights on the post-COVID-19 impact on the market, which will help companies evaluate their business approaches. The antimicrobial susceptibility testing market report also offers information on several market vendors, including Accelerate Diagnostics Inc., ALIFAX Srl, Becton, Dickinson and Co., bioMérieux SA, Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc., Bruker Corp., Danaher Corp., Merck KGaA, Scientific Digital Imaging Plc, and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. among others. Furthermore, this report extensively covers antimicrobial susceptibility testing market segmentation by application (clinical diagnostics, drug discovery and development, and others) and geography (North America, Europe, Asia, and ROW).
What will the Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market Size be During the Forecast Period?
Download the Free Report Sample to Unlock the Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market Size for the Forecast Period and Other Important Statistics
Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market: Key Drivers, Trends, and Challenges
Based on our research output, there has been a neutral impact on the market growth during and after the post-COVID-19 era. The increased use of antimicrobial susceptibility testing by biopharmaceutical companies is notably driving the antimicrobial susceptibility testing market growth, although factors such as stringent regulatory policies may impede the market growth. Our research analysts have studied the historical data and deduced the key market drivers and the COVID-19 pandemic impact on the antimicrobial susceptibility testing industry. The holistic analysis of the drivers will help in deducing end goals and refining marketing strategies to gain a competitive edge.
Key Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market Driver
The increasing prevalence of infectious diseases is one of the key factors driving the growth of the global antimicrobial susceptibility testing market. Infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, malaria, and hepatitis are caused by pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, and parasites. Furthermore, the impact of these infectious diseases varies from region to region. Sub-Saharan Africa, APAC, Latin America, and the Middle East are more prone to infectious diseases due to factors such as malnutrition, poor sanitation, poor water quality, and lack of proper healthcare systems. Moreover, recent outbreaks, including Ebola, Zika, dengue, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), influenza, and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), as well as the threat of rising antibiotic resistance (AR), have further increased the concerns on global health. In addition, the rapidly growing population, lifestyle changes, urbanization, civil wars, and climate change have increased the prevalence of infectious diseases. As a result, there has been an increase in products used for diagnosing them. Overall, as infectious diseases pose a global threat to healthcare, the demand for their diagnosis with the help of AST is likely to increase at a steady rate, thereby driving the market in the future.
Key Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market Trend
The increasing use of antibiograms will fuel the global antimicrobial susceptibility testing market. Antibiograms can be defined as a cumulative result of the AST of a specific microorganism to a number of antimicrobial drugs. Medical facilities are required to maintain annual antibiograms for the antimicrobial stewardship programs (ASP), and reports are updated as per the resistance trends. Selecting a specific patient population such as inpatient vs. outpatient, hospital units such as ICU vs. non-ICU, and infection sites such as blood, urine, and sputum provide valuable insights into resistance trends. The antibiogram helps in tracking local antibiotic resistance trends, thereby improving the ability to avoid suboptimal therapies and providing better patient care. antibiograms are used as a tool for developing guidelines for empiric therapy, making formulary decisions, and monitoring resistance rates over time. Also, the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) has formed a consensus guideline to standardize the methods that are used during the construction of antibiograms. Although the construction of antibiograms is complex, expensive, and time-consuming, in the era of increasing antibiotic resistance, the demand for antibiograms will grow rapidly, thereby contributing to the growth of the global antimicrobial susceptibility testing market during the forecast period.
Key Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market Challenge
The restrictions associated with antimicrobial susceptibility testing are a major challenge for the antimicrobial susceptibility testing market growth. Although AST has become an integral part of clinical diagnostics and drug discovery and development, there are certain limitations that might hinder the market growth. For example, the three most commonly used in-vitro testing for antimicrobial susceptibility include agar disk diffusion, agar dilution, and broth dilution, which are responsible for determining the MIC of an antimicrobial agent. In addition, there are extensive delays between the update of a clinical breakpoint and its clearance on commercial antimicrobial susceptibility testing (cAST) devices, which can compromise patient safety, as laboratories may fail to detect resistance to a particular drug. Furthermore, the non-availability of tests for newer drugs on cAST devices can be a threat to patient safety. For instance, drugs such as ceftazidime-avibactam and ceftolozane-tazobactam cannot be used without AST. To overcome this challenge, proper interaction between the US FDA and drug manufacturers is required for the addition of the drug to IVD tests.
This antimicrobial susceptibility testing market analysis report also provides detailed information on other upcoming trends and challenges that will have a far-reaching effect on the market growth. The actionable insights on the trends and challenges will help companies evaluate and develop growth strategies for 2020-2024.
Parent Market Analysis
The global antimicrobial susceptibility testing market is a part of the global life sciences tools and services market. Our research report has extensively covered external factors influencing the parent market growth potential in the coming years, which will determine the levels of growth of the antimicrobial susceptibility testing market during the forecast period.
Who are the Major Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market Vendors?
The report analyzes the market's competitive landscape and offers information on several market vendors, including:
- Accelerate Diagnostics Inc.
- ALIFAX Srl
- Becton, Dickinson and Co.
- bioMérieux SA
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
- Bruker Corp.
- Danaher Corp.
- Merck KGaA
- Scientific Digital Imaging Plc
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
This statistical study of the antimicrobial susceptibility testing market encompasses successful business strategies deployed by the key vendors. The antimicrobial susceptibility testing market is fragmented and the vendors are deploying growth strategies such as organic and inorganic growth strategies to compete in the market.
Product Insights and News
- Accelerate Diagnostics Inc.- The company offers Accelerate Pheno system, which is a fully automated device used for testing.
To make the most of the opportunities and recover from the post-COVID-19 impact, market vendors should focus more on the growth prospects in the fast-growing segments, while maintaining their positions in the slow-growing segments.
The antimicrobial susceptibility testing market forecast report offers in-depth insights into key vendor profiles. The profiles include information on the production, sustainability, and prospects of the leading companies.
Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market Value Chain Analysis
Our report provides extensive information on the value chain analysis for the antimicrobial susceptibility testing market, which vendors can leverage to gain a competitive advantage during the forecast period. The end-to-end understanding of the value chain is essential in profit margin optimization and evaluation of business strategies. The data available in our value chain analysis segment can help vendors drive costs and enhance customer services during the forecast period.
The value chain of the global life sciences tools and services market includes the following core components:
- Inbound logistics
- Outbound logistics
- Marketing and sales
- Support activities
The report has further elucidated other innovative approaches being followed by service providers to ensure a sustainable market presence.
Which are the Key Regions for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market?
For more insights on the market share of various regions Request for a FREE sample now!
44% of the market's growth will originate from North America during the forecast period. US and Canada are the key markets for the antimicrobial susceptibility testing market in North America. Market growth in this region will be faster than the growth of the market in regions.
The increasing use of AST by pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies for drug screening will facilitate the antimicrobial susceptibility testing market growth in North America over the forecast period. This market research report entails detailed information on the competitive intelligence, marketing gaps, and regional opportunities in store for vendors, which will assist in creating efficient business plans.
COVID Impact and Recovery Analysis
The antimicrobial susceptibility testing market in North America witnessed a temporary decline in 2020, owing to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. A decrease in the exposure to external microbes due to the associated lockdowns and the increased use of masks reduced the prevalence of microbial diseases in 2020, which adversely affected the market in North America. However, the demand for AST is expected to increase once the COVID-19 situation is brought under control.
What are the Revenue-generating Application Segments in the Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market?
To gain further insights on the market contribution of various segments Request for a FREE sample
The antimicrobial susceptibility testing market share growth in the clinical diagnostics segment will be significant during the forecast period. This segment comprises hospitals and diagnostic centers that perform AST to diagnose patients before they are administered drugs. In the healthcare sector, AST ensures the quality of care and patient safety. It provides information on pathogens, their mode of transmission, and their mechanism of causing infection and growth. Therefore, with the help of AST information, the right treatment can be developed for patients. Medical professionals have identified certain antibiotic-resistant bacteria and fungi. The increased use can be attributed to the growing emphasis on reducing the prevalence of infectious diseases. Moreover, the rising awareness about personalized medicines is increasing the demand for IVD tests. IVD tests play a key role in reducing healthcare costs, as the right treatment plan can be devised without delay based on test results.
This report provides an accurate prediction of the contribution of all the segments to the growth of the antimicrobial susceptibility testing market size and actionable market insights on the post-COVID-19 impact on each segment.
Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market Scope
Growth momentum & CAGR
Accelerate at a CAGR of 5.37%
Market growth 2020-2024
$ 900.75 million
YoY growth (%)
North America, Europe, and Asia
Performing market contribution
North America at 44%
Key consumer countries
US, Canada, Germany, and Japan
Leading companies, Competitive strategies, Consumer engagement scope
Key companies profiled
Accelerate Diagnostics Inc., ALIFAX Srl, Becton, Dickinson and Co., bioMérieux SA, Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc., Bruker Corp., Danaher Corp., Merck KGaA, Scientific Digital Imaging Plc, and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Parent market analysis, Market growth inducers and obstacles, Fast-growing and slow-growing segment analysis, COVID 19 impact and recovery analysis and future consumer dynamics, Market condition analysis for forecast period
If our report has not included the data that you are looking for, you can reach out to our analysts and get segments customized.
What are the Key Data Covered in this Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Market Report?
- CAGR of the market during the forecast period 2020-2024
- Detailed information on factors that will drive antimicrobial susceptibility testing market growth during the next five years
- Precise estimation of the antimicrobial susceptibility testing market size and its contribution to the parent market
- Accurate predictions on upcoming trends and changes in consumer behavior
- The growth of the antimicrobial susceptibility testing industry across North America, Europe, Asia and ROW
- A thorough analysis of the market's competitive landscape and detailed information on vendors
- Comprehensive details of factors that will challenge the growth of antimicrobial susceptibility testing market vendors
We can help! Our analysts can customize this report to meet your requirements. Get in touch
1 Executive Summary
2 Market Landscape
- 2.1 Market ecosystem
- Exhibit 01: Parent market
- Exhibit 02: Market characteristics
- 2.2 Value chain analysis
- Exhibit 03: Value Chain Analysis: Life Sciences Tools and Services
3 Market Sizing
- 3.1 Market definition
- Exhibit 04: Offerings of vendors included in the market definition
- 3.2 Market segment analysis
- Exhibit 05: Market segments
- 3.3 Market size 2020
- 3.4 Market outlook: Forecast for 2020 - 2025
- Exhibit 06: Global - Market size and forecast 2020 - 2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 07: Global market: Year-over-year growth 2020 - 2025 (%)
4 Five Forces Analysis
- 4.1 Five Forces Summary
- Exhibit 08: Five forces analysis 2020 & 2025
- 4.2 Bargaining power of buyers
- Exhibit 09: Bargaining power of buyers
- 4.3 Bargaining power of suppliers
- Exhibit 10: Bargaining power of suppliers
- 4.4 Threat of new entrants
- Exhibit 11: Threat of new entrants
- 4.5 Threat of substitutes
- Exhibit 12: Threat of substitutes
- 4.6 Threat of rivalry
- Exhibit 13: Threat of rivalry
- 4.7 Market condition
- Exhibit 14: Market condition - Five forces 2020
5 Market Segmentation by Application
- 5.1 Market segments
- Exhibit 15: Application - Market share 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.2 Comparison by Application
- Exhibit 16: Comparison by Application
- 5.3 Clinical diagnostics - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 17: Clinical diagnostics - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 18: Clinical diagnostics - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.4 Drug discovery and development - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 19: Drug discovery and development - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 20: Drug discovery and development - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.5 Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 21: Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 22: Others - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.6 Market opportunity by Application
- Exhibit 23: Market opportunity by Application
6 Customer Landscape
7 Geographic Landscape
- 7.1 Geographic segmentation
- Exhibit 25: Market share by geography 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.2 Geographic comparison
- Exhibit 26: Geographic comparison
- 7.3 North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 27: North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 28: North America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.4 Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 29: Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 30: Europe - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.5 Asia - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 31: Asia - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 32: Asia - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.6 ROW - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 33: ROW - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 34: ROW - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.7 Key leading countries
- Exhibit 35: Key leading countries
- 7.8 Market opportunity by geography
- Exhibit 36: Market opportunity by geography ($ million)
8 Drivers, Challenges, and Trends
- 8.1 Market drivers
- 8.2 Market challenges
- Exhibit 37: Impact of drivers and challenges
- 8.3 Market trends
9 Vendor Landscape
- 9.1 Overview
- 9.2 Vendor landscape
- Exhibit 38: Vendor landscape
- 9.3 Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 39: Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 40: Industry risks
10 Vendor Analysis
- 10.1 Vendors covered
- Exhibit 41: Vendors covered
- 10.2 Market positioning of vendors
- Exhibit 42: Market positioning of vendors
- 10.3 Accelerate Diagnostics Inc.
- Exhibit 43: Accelerate Diagnostics Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 44: Accelerate Diagnostics Inc. - Business segments
- Exhibit 45: Accelerate Diagnostics Inc. – Key news
- Exhibit 46: Accelerate Diagnostics Inc. - Key offerings
- 10.4 ALIFAX Srl
- Exhibit 47: ALIFAX Srl - Overview
- Exhibit 48: ALIFAX Srl - Product and service
- Exhibit 49: ALIFAX Srl - Key offerings
- 10.5 Becton, Dickinson and Co.
- 10.6 bioMerieux SA
- Exhibit 55: bioMerieux SA - Overview
- Exhibit 56: bioMerieux SA - Business segments
- Exhibit 57: bioMerieux SA - Key offerings
- Exhibit 58: bioMerieux SA - Segment focus
- 10.7 Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc
- Exhibit 59: Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc - Overview
- Exhibit 60: Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc - Business segments
- Exhibit 61: Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc - Key offerings
- Exhibit 62: Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc - Segment focus
- 10.8 Bruker Corp.
- Exhibit 63: Bruker Corp. - Overview
- Exhibit 64: Bruker Corp. - Business segments
- Exhibit 65: Bruker Corp. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 66: Bruker Corp. - Segment focus
- 10.9 Danaher Corp.
- Exhibit 67: Danaher Corp. - Overview
- Exhibit 68: Danaher Corp. - Business segments
- Exhibit 69: Danaher Corp. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 70: Danaher Corp. - Segment focus
- 10.10 Merck KGaA
- Exhibit 71: Merck KGaA - Overview
- Exhibit 72: Merck KGaA - Business segments
- Exhibit 73: Merck KGaA – Key news
- Exhibit 74: Merck KGaA - Key offerings
- Exhibit 75: Merck KGaA - Segment focus
- 10.11 SDI Group plc
- Exhibit 76: SDI Group plc - Overview
- Exhibit 77: SDI Group plc - Product and service
- Exhibit 78: SDI Group plc - Key offerings
- 10.12 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Exhibit 79: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 80: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. - Business segments
- Exhibit 81: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 82: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. - Segment focus
- 11.1 Scope of the report
- 11.2 Currency conversion rates for US$
- Exhibit 83: Currency conversion rates for US$
- 11.3 Research methodology
- Exhibit 84: Research Methodology
- Exhibit 85: Validation techniques employed for market sizing
- Exhibit 86: Information sources
- 11.4 List of abbreviations
- Exhibit 87: List of abbreviations
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape
Get your sample now!
Frequently Asked Questions?
- Increased use of antimicrobial susceptibility testing by biopharmaceutical companies
- Increasing use of antibiograms
Key Questions Answered
- What are the key global market and the regional market share?
- What are the revenue-generating key market segments?
- What are the key factors driving and challenging this market’s growth?
- Who are the key market vendors and their growth strategies?
- What are the latest trends influencing the growth of this market?
- What are the variables influencing the market growth in the primary regions?
- What are the factors influencing the growth of the parent market?
Why should you prefer Technavio's market insights report?
Certified ISO 9001 : 2015
We are ISO 9001:2015 recognized that ensures quality services and product delivery to our clients.
We are GDPR and CCPA compliant! Your transaction & personal information is protected from unauthorized use.
One user only.
Quick & easy download option
Unlimited user access (Within your organization)
Complimentary Customization Included
Get the report (PDF) sent to your email within minutes.
Subscribe & Save
Get lifetime access to our
Did you know?
Did you know?
Did you know?
Customized Report as per your Business Needs
- Our analysts will work directly with you and understand your needs
- Get data on specified regions or segments, competitor and Vendors
- Data will be formatted and presented as per your requirements
- We offer $1000 worth of FREE customization at the time of purchase
Let us help you make report more suited to your requirements.
- Get a competitive breakdown as per your niche industry
- Customize the data with various metrics that meet your business prerequisite
- Understand Revenue Sources, Customers and many more
- Details on Market Share
- These customizations are done in a short amount of time by our analysts and industry experts