Cosmetic Ingredients Market by Application, Type, and Geography - Forecast and Analysis 2021-2025
- Published: Jul 2021
- Pages: 151
- SKU: IRTNTR43454
Enjoy complimentary customisation on priority with our Enterprise License!
One user only.
Quick & easy download option
Unlimited user access (Within your organization)
Complimentary Customization Included
The cosmetic ingredients market share is expected to increase by USD 3.98 billion from 2020 to 2025, and the market's growth momentum will accelerate at a CAGR of 7%.
This cosmetic ingredients market research report provides valuable insights on the post COVID-19 impact on the market, which will help companies evaluate their business approaches. Furthermore, this report extensively covers cosmetic ingredients market segmentations by type (surfactants, EFF and M, single-use additives, CP and C, and others), application (hair care and skincare, perfumes and fragrance, color cosmetics, and others), and geography (APAC, Europe, North America, MEA, and South America). The cosmetic ingredients market report also offers information on several market vendors, including Ashland Global Holdings Inc., BASF SE, Clariant International Ltd., Croda International Plc, Eastman Chemical Co., Evonik Industries AG, Givaudan SA, Koninklijke DSM NV, Lonza Group Ltd., and Solvay SA among others.
What will the Cosmetic Ingredients Market Size be During the Forecast Period?
Download the Free Report Sample to Unlock the Cosmetic Ingredients Market Size for the Forecast Period and Other Important Statistics
Cosmetic Ingredients Market: Key Drivers, Trends, and Challenges
Based on our research output, there has been a neutral impact on the market growth during and post COVID-19 era. The growing demand for natural and organic cosmetic ingredients is notably driving the cosmetic ingredients market growth, although factors such as stringent regulations may impede market growth. Our research analysts have studied the historical data and deduced the key market drivers and the COVID-19 pandemic impact on the cosmetic ingredients industry. The holistic analysis of the drivers will help in deducing end goals and refining marketing strategies to gain a competitive edge.
Key Cosmetic Ingredients Market Driver
One of the key factors driving the cosmetic ingredients market growth is the growing demand for natural and organic cosmetic ingredients. Although skincare and hair care cosmetics manufactured using synthetic ingredients are highly effective over the short term, their prolonged use is known to have detrimental effects on skin and hair health. Established vendors in the global cosmetic ingredients market, such as BASF SE and Croda International Plc, are placing high emphasis on expanding their portfolio of natural ingredients. In April 2021, BASF SE launched Sacred Patch, a new skincare active ingredient, that boosts emotional well-being and addresses sensitive skin issues. The product harnesses the potential of the valuable algal extract sacran as an active ingredient in skincare cosmetics, with a focus on inner skin. Owing to the rising awareness about the benefits of natural cosmetic ingredients, several cosmetics companies have started offering a range of skincare and hair care products that contain natural and organic ingredients such as coconut, bakuchiol, pumpkin, blue algae, avocado, argan, and olive oil; antioxidants; hyaluronic acid; clay; and jojoba, aloe vera, sunflower, and carrot seed extracts. Overall, the shift toward natural and organic cosmetics is expected to boost the market during the forecast period.
Key Cosmetic Ingredients Market Trend
Another key factor driving the cosmetic ingredients market growth is the growing prominence of clean labeling in cosmetic formulations. Clean labeling in the cosmetics sector refers to the minimal use of synthetic ingredients in cosmetics to ensure transparency, safety, and authenticity of the cosmetic formulation process. The growing trend of clean labeling in cosmetics has significantly reduced the adoption of artificial and synthetic ingredients over the last few years. Subsequently, vendors are developing organic and sustainable means to make ingredients, and cosmetic companies are increasingly emphasizing the use of natural ingredients to promote clean labeling and formulation transparency in cosmetics. Vendors in the global cosmetic ingredients market, such as DSM and BASF, are increasingly focusing on the expansion of their portfolio of clean-label cosmetic ingredients. For instance, in April 2019, BASF was awarded the BSB Innovation Prize 2019 for its Euperlan OP White opacifier by BSB, a German consulting agency. Euperlan OP White is an eco-friendly, biodegradable, wax-based alternative to synthetic polymer opacifiers. Thus, the growing prominence of clean labeling in cosmetics and cosmetic ingredients is expected to further encourage R&D activity among vendors for the development of eco-friendly alternatives to artificial and synthetic ingredients during the forecast period.
Key Cosmetic Ingredients Market Challenge
Stringent regulations is one of the key challenges hindering the cosmetic ingredients market growth. The global cosmetic ingredients market is highly regulated in countries such as the US and Australia and EU member states such as France and Germany. For instance, the FDA regulates the cosmetic industry in the US under the regulatory authority of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FDCA). As per the FDCA, companies and individuals that are engaged in the marketing and sales of cosmetics in the US have a legal responsibility toward the safety of their products and ingredients. The FDA regulates the production, handling, and labeling of all organic cosmetics. The labeling standards for organic cosmetics are governed primarily by the percentage of organic ingredients in a product. Additionally, the FDA mandates that all cosmetic products must not contain any prohibited ingredients and also lists safety expectations related to the storage and transportation of cosmetics. The implementation of the Personal Care Products Safety Act in March 2019 is expected to further strengthen regulations related to the cosmetic industry in the US. Overall, the imposition of stringent regulations is expected to restrict the growth of the global cosmetic ingredients market during the forecast period.
This cosmetic ingredients market analysis report also provides detailed information on other upcoming trends and challenges that will have a far-reaching effect on the market growth. The actionable insights on the trends and challenges will help companies evaluate and develop growth strategies for 2021-2025.
Parent Market Analysis
Technavio categorizes the global cosmetic ingredients market as a part of the global commodity chemicals market. Our research report has extensively covered external factors influencing the parent market growth potential in the coming years, which will determine the levels of growth of the cosmetic ingredients market during the forecast period.
Who are the Major Cosmetic Ingredients Market Vendors?
The report analyzes the market's competitive landscape and offers information on several market vendors, including:
- Ashland Global Holdings Inc.
- BASF SE
- Clariant International Ltd.
- Croda International Plc
- Eastman Chemical Co.
- Evonik Industries AG
- Givaudan SA
- Koninklijke DSM NV
- Lonza Group Ltd.
- Solvay SA
This statistical study of the cosmetic ingredients market encompasses successful business strategies deployed by the key vendors. The cosmetic ingredients market is fragmented and the vendors are deploying growth strategies such as organic and inorganic strategies to compete in the market.
Product Insights and News
- Ashland Global Holdings Inc.- The company provides wide range of cosmetic ingredients such as allianz polymers, antaron ECo ethylcellulose, aqualon and blanose carboxymethylcellul, aqualon sodium carboxymethylcellul etc.
To make the most of the opportunities and recover from post COVID-19 impact, market vendors should focus more on the growth prospects in the fast-growing segments, while maintaining their positions in the slow-growing segments.
The cosmetic ingredients market forecast report offers in-depth insights into key vendor profiles. The profiles include information on the production, sustainability, and prospects of the leading companies.
Cosmetic Ingredients Market Value Chain Analysis
Our report provides extensive information on the value chain analysis for the cosmetic ingredients market, which vendors can leverage to gain a competitive advantage during the forecast period. The end-to-end understanding of the value chain is essential in profit margin optimization and evaluation of business strategies. The data available in our value chain analysis segment can help vendors drive costs and enhance customer services during the forecast period.
The report has further elucidated on other innovative approaches being followed by manufacturers to ensure a sustainable market presence.
Which are the Key Regions for Cosmetic Ingredients Market?
For more insights on the market share of various regions Request for a FREE sample now!
40% of the market's growth will originate from APAC during the forecast period. Singapore and South Korea (Republic of Korea), Japan are the key markets for cosmetic ingredients in APAC. Market growth in this region will be faster than the growth of the market in other regions.
Consumers in the region are becoming aware of the adverse effects of synthetic ingredients such as preservatives and emollients used in cosmetic products and are increasingly shifting toward cosmetics formulated with organic and sustainable ingredients. The demand for natural additives and ingredients in cosmetics is also encouraging vendors to invest significantly in the development of sustainable ingredients. The easy availability of various naturally sourced ingredients such as herbs and plants in China, India, and Southeast Asian countries offers high potential for market vendors to set up production units in the region during the forecast period. This market research report entails detailed information on the competitive intelligence, marketing gaps, and regional opportunities in store for vendors, which will assist in creating efficient business plans.
COVID Impact and Recovery Analysis
The outbreak of COVID-19 in the region hindered the growth of the cosmetic ingredients market in 2020. Some of the key countries such as China, India, Nepal, Pakistan, South Korea, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, and the Philippines have been under either partial or full lockdowns during the outbreak. However, with the ongoing COVID-19 vaccination drives, the number of COVID-19 cases is expected to decline during the forecast period. The operations in cosmetic manufacturing sites are expected to gradually rebound during 2021-2022. However, the region has been experiencing a huge demand for cosmetic products, owing to increased skin and aging concerns and improved lifestyles of the population. For instance, South Korea has made a strong cosmetic consumer base around the globe. The production of cosmetics in South Korea dropped by 6.8% in 2020 from 13.6% in 2019 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, according to Ministry Food and Drug Safety (MFDS), South Korea exported cosmetic products worth around $7.28 billion in 2020. China, Germany, Japan, and Italy are among the major importers of cosmetics from South Korea. Thus, these factors are anticipated to fuel the growth of the regional cosmetic ingredients market during the forecast period.
What are the Revenue-generating Type Segments in the Cosmetic Ingredients Market?
To gain further insights on the market contribution of various segments Request for a FREE sample
The cosmetic ingredients market share growth by the surfactants will be significant during the forecast period. Surfactants refer to ingredients that are used to reduce surface tension in liquid solutions. Key applications of surfactants in cosmetics include cleansing, solubilization, and conditioning, among others. There has been a steady rise in demand for naturally sourced surfactants derived from plants and vegetables, such as ammonium laureth sulfate, decyl glucoside, decyl polyglucoside, and stearyl alcohol, owing to the growing awareness related to the implications of synthetic surfactants in cosmetics over the long term.
Besides the above-mentioned factors, the post COVID-19 impact has brought forth a slowdown in or fast tracked the demand for the service or product. This report provides an accurate prediction of the contribution of all the segments to the growth of the cosmetic ingredients market size and actionable market insights on post COVID-19 impact on each segment.
Cosmetic Ingredients Market Scope
Growth momentum & CAGR
Accelerate at a CAGR of 7%
Market growth 2021-2025
$ 3.98 billion
YoY growth (%)
APAC, Europe, North America, MEA, and South America
Performing market contribution
APAC at 40%
Key consumer countries
France, Singapore, South Korea (Republic of Korea), Japan, and US
Leading companies, Competitive strategies, Consumer engagement scope
Key companies profiled
Ashland Global Holdings Inc., BASF SE, Clariant International Ltd., Croda International Plc, Eastman Chemical Co., Evonik Industries AG, Givaudan SA, Koninklijke DSM NV, Lonza Group Ltd., and Solvay SA
Parent market analysis, Market growth inducers and obstacles, Fast-growing and slow-growing segment analysis, COVID 19 impact and recovery analysis and future consumer dynamics, Market condition analysis for forecast period
If our report has not included the data that you are looking for, you can reach out to our analysts and get segments customized.
What are the Key Data Covered in this Cosmetic Ingredients Market Report?
- CAGR of the market during the forecast period 2021-2025
- Detailed information on factors that will drive cosmetic ingredients market growth during the next five years
- Precise estimation of the cosmetic ingredients market size and its contribution to the parent market
- Accurate predictions on upcoming trends and changes in consumer behavior
- The growth of the cosmetic ingredients industry across APAC, Europe, North America, MEA, and South America
- A thorough analysis of the market's competitive landscape and detailed information on vendors
- Comprehensive details of factors that will challenge the growth of cosmetic ingredients market vendors
We can help! Our analysts can customize this report to meet your requirements. Get in touch
1 Executive Summary
2 Market Landscape
- 2.1 Market ecosystem
- Exhibit 01: Parent market
- Exhibit 02: Market characteristics
- 2.2 Value chain analysis
- Exhibit 03: Value chain analysis: Commodity chemicals
3 Market Sizing
- 3.1 Market definition
- Exhibit 04: Offerings of vendors included in the market definition
- 3.2 Market segment analysis
- Exhibit 05: Market segments
- 3.3 Market size 2020
- 3.4 Market outlook: Forecast for 2020 - 2025
- Exhibit 06: Global - Market size and forecast 2020 - 2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 07: Global market: Year-over-year growth 2020 - 2025 (%)
4 Five Forces Analysis
- 4.1 Five forces analysis 2020 & 2025
- Exhibit 08: Five forces analysis 2020 & 2025
- 4.2 Bargaining power of buyers
- Exhibit 09: Bargaining power of buyers
- 4.3 Bargaining power of suppliers
- Exhibit 10: Bargaining power of suppliers
- 4.4 Threat of new entrants
- Exhibit 11: Threat of new entrants
- 4.5 Threat of substitutes
- Exhibit 12: Threat of substitutes
- 4.6 Threat of rivalry
- Exhibit 13: Threat of rivalry
- 4.7 Market condition
- Exhibit 14: Market condition - Five forces 2020 and 2025
5 Market Segmentation by Application
- 5.1 Market segments
- Exhibit 15: Application - Market share 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.2 Comparison by Application
- Exhibit 16: Comparison by Application
- 5.3 Hair care and skincare - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 17: Hair care and skincare - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 18: Hair care and skincare - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.4 Perfumes and fragrance - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 19: Perfumes and fragrance - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 20: Perfumes and fragrance - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.5 Color cosmetics - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 21: Color cosmetics - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 22: Color cosmetics - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.6 Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 23: Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 24: Others - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.7 Market opportunity by Application
- Exhibit 25: Market opportunity by Application
6 Market Segmentation by Type
- 6.1 Market segments
- Exhibit 26: Type - Market share 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.2 Comparison by Type
- Exhibit 27: Comparison by Type
- 6.3 Surfactants - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 28: Surfactants - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 29: Surfactants - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.4 EFF and M - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 30: EFF and M - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 31: EFF and M - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.5 Single-use additives - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 32: Single-use additives - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 33: Single-use additives - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.6 CP and C - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 34: CP and C - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 35: CP and C - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.7 Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- 6.8 Market opportunity by Type
- Exhibit 38: Market opportunity by Type
7 Customer Landscape
8 Geographic Landscape
- 8.1 Geographic segmentation
- Exhibit 40: Market share by geography 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.2 Geographic comparison
- Exhibit 41: Geographic comparison
- 8.3 APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 42: APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 43: APAC - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.4 Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 44: Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 45: Europe - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.5 North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 46: North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 47: North America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.6 MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 48: MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 49: MEA - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.7 South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 50: South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 51: South America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.8 Key leading countries
- Exhibit 52: Key leading countries
- 8.9 Market opportunity by geography
9 Drivers, Challenges, and Trends
- 9.1 Market drivers
- 9.2 Market challenges
- Exhibit 54: Impact of drivers and challenges
- 9.3 Market trends
10 Vendor Landscape
- 10.1 Overview
- 10.2 Vendor landscape
- Exhibit 55: Vendor landscape
- 10.3 Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 56: Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 57: Industry risks
11 Vendor Analysis
- 11.1 Vendors covered
- Exhibit 58: Vendors covered
- 11.2 Market positioning of vendors
- Exhibit 59: Market positioning of vendors
- 11.3 Ashland Global Holdings Inc.
- Exhibit 60: Ashland Global Holdings Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 61: Ashland Global Holdings Inc. - Business segments
- Exhibit 63: Ashland Global Holdings Inc. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 64: Ashland Global Holdings Inc. - Segment focus
- 11.4 BASF SE
- Exhibit 65: BASF SE - Overview
- Exhibit 66: BASF SE - Business segments
- Exhibit 68: BASF SE - Key offerings
- Exhibit 69: BASF SE - Segment focus
- 11.5 Clariant International Ltd.
- Exhibit 70: Clariant International Ltd. - Overview
- Exhibit 71: Clariant International Ltd. - Business segments
- Exhibit 73: Clariant International Ltd. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 74: Clariant International Ltd. - Segment focus
- 11.6 Croda International Plc
- Exhibit 75: Croda International Plc - Overview
- Exhibit 76: Croda International Plc - Business segments
- Exhibit 78: Croda International Plc - Key offerings
- Exhibit 79: Croda International Plc - Segment focus
- 11.7 Eastman Chemical Co.
- Exhibit 80: Eastman Chemical Co. - Overview
- Exhibit 81: Eastman Chemical Co. - Business segments
- Exhibit 82: Eastman Chemical Co. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 83: Eastman Chemical Co. - Segment focus
- 11.8 Evonik Industries AG
- Exhibit 84: Evonik Industries AG - Overview
- Exhibit 85: Evonik Industries AG - Business segments
- Exhibit 87: Evonik Industries AG - Key offerings
- Exhibit 88: Evonik Industries AG - Segment focus
- 11.9 Givaudan SA
- Exhibit 89: Givaudan SA - Overview
- Exhibit 90: Givaudan SA - Business segments
- Exhibit 92: Givaudan SA - Key offerings
- Exhibit 93: Givaudan SA - Segment focus
- 11.10 Koninklijke DSM NV
- Exhibit 94: Koninklijke DSM NV - Overview
- Exhibit 95: Koninklijke DSM NV - Business segments
- Exhibit 97: Koninklijke DSM NV - Key offerings
- Exhibit 98: Koninklijke DSM NV - Segment focus
- 11.11 Lonza Group Ltd.
- Exhibit 99: Lonza Group Ltd. - Overview
- Exhibit 100: Lonza Group Ltd. - Business segments
- Exhibit 102: Lonza Group Ltd. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 103: Lonza Group Ltd. - Segment focus
- 11.12 Solvay SA
- Exhibit 104: Solvay SA - Overview
- Exhibit 105: Solvay SA - Business segments
- Exhibit 107: Solvay SA - Key offerings
- Exhibit 108: Solvay SA - Segment focus
- 12.1 Scope of the report
- 12.2 Currency conversion rates for US$
- Exhibit 109: Currency conversion rates for US$
- 12.3 Research methodology
- Exhibit 110: Research Methodology
- Exhibit 111: Validation techniques employed for market sizing
- Exhibit 112: Information sources
- 12.4 List of abbreviations
- Exhibit 113: List of abbreviations
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape
Get your sample now!
Frequently Asked Questions?
- South Korea (Republic of Korea)
- Growing demand for natural and organic cosmetic ingredients
- Growing prominence of clean labeling in cosmetic formulations
Key Questions Answered
- What are the key global market and the regional market share?
- What are the revenue-generating key market segments?
- What are the key factors driving and challenging this market’s growth?
- Who are the key market vendors and their growth strategies?
- What are the latest trends influencing the growth of this market?
- What are the variables influencing the market growth in the primary regions?
- What are the factors influencing the growth of the parent market?
Why should you prefer Technavio's market insights report?
Certified ISO 9001 : 2015
We are ISO 9001:2015 recognized that ensures quality services and product delivery to our clients.
We are GDPR and CCPA compliant! Your transaction & personal information is protected from unauthorized use.
One user only.
Quick & easy download option
Unlimited user access (Within your organization)
Complimentary Customization Included
Get the report (PDF) sent to your email within minutes.
Subscribe & Save
Get lifetime access to our
Did you know?
Did you know?
Did you know?
Customized Report as per your Business Needs
- Our analysts will work directly with you and understand your needs
- Get data on specified regions or segments, competitor and Vendors
- Data will be formatted and presented as per your requirements
- We offer $1000 worth of FREE customization at the time of purchase
Let us help you make report more suited to your requirements.
- Get a competitive breakdown as per your niche industry
- Customize the data with various metrics that meet your business prerequisite
- Understand Revenue Sources, Customers and many more
- Details on Market Share
- These customizations are done in a short amount of time by our analysts and industry experts