Overview of the global microdisplay market
Technavio’s market research analyst predicts that the global microdisplay market will grow at a phenomenal CAGR of close to 24% by the end of the forecast period. An important factor driving the prospects for growth in this market is the increasing demand for heads up displays (HUDs). In China, the increasing acceptance of HUDs in the automotive industry will pave the way for compact and less expensive HUDs. This increase in the acceptance of HUDs has, in turn, encouraged HUD manufacturers to develop innovative and technologically advanced HUDs for all kinds of vehicles. A combiner HUD is one such type of technologically advanced HUD, which can be installed in small family cars with limited space in the cockpit. Since these HUDs need only a small glass to project the information instead of the entire windshield, they consume less than half the installation space and are well suited for compact vehicles.
A significant trend spurring growth in this market is the increasing demand for multipurpose helicopters. Multipurpose helicopters are increasingly gaining traction in the global military sector due to their ability to assist in air assaults, ground attacks, medical evacuation missions, search and rescue, and troop transportation. Since these helicopters reduce military capital expenditure and eliminate the need for helicopters specific to operations, its demand among the end users will increase drastically over the next few years.
Segmentation by technology and analysis of the microdisplay market
The LCD technology segment dominated the global microdisplay market in 2015 with close to 55% market share. LCD technology is highly sought after for features like sharp /images, brightness, and geometric distortion. Since it is used in a number of applications such as cockpit displays, signage, computers, and even clocks, the prospects for growth in this market segment will have a positive outlook until the end of 2020.
Geographical segmentation and analysis of the microdisplay market
The Americas dominated the global microdisplay market during 2015 and is anticipated to generate revenues of close to USD 889 million by the end of 2020. Factors such as rapid technological advances and increased spending and demand from the military, defense, and aerospace sectors will aid in the growth of this market in the Americas.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
The global microdisplay market is highly fragmented owing to the presence of a few large and small vendors. Since the market has low entry barriers, new players can enter this market to take advantage of its high growth potential. With the increasing number of vendors and the market advancing to the next stages of the industry life cycle, the level of competition among the vendors will intensify significantly over the next four years.
Key vendors in this market are -
- AU Optronics
- Universal Display
Other prominent vendors in this market are Cambridge Display Technology, Epson, Fourth Dimension Displays, Himax Display, LG Display, Liteye Systems, Micron Technologies, Microvision, Syndiant, and Wisechip Semiconductor.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the global microdisplay market?
- What are the key market trends influencing the growth of the global microdisplay market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in the global microdisplay market?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global microdisplay market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, and EMEA.
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the global microdisplay market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Microminiaturized displays that have a diagonal screen size of less than 25 mm are known as microdisplays. Since these displays have high-density and high-resolution screens, they are extensively used in magnified display systems. Conventionally, the LCD technology was the most widely used microdisplay technology in the market. Other microdisplay technologies include LCoS, DLP, and OLED. All of the technologies mentioned above have its unique set of features, which are suitable for use in microdisplays in projection and NTE segments.
The report, global microdisplay market, is part of Technavio’s hardware and semiconductor research portfolio. This portfolio provides a comprehensive market analysis along with the market share, market sizing, and market segmentations covering areas such as computing devices, displays, embedded systems, human machine interface, lighting, semiconductor equipment, and sensors. These market research reports provide a perspective on the various market opportunities and market threats along with the key trends that would influence the market growth during the forecast period. It presents insights into the changing competitive landscape and a detailed profiling and market analysis of the vendors. Also covered in the research are the key regions or countries that would have an impact on the market during the assessment years.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Market overview
- Common currency conversion rates
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market overview
- Market size and forecast
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by application
- Near-to-eye displays
- Projection-based displays
PART 07: Market segmentation by technology
PART 08: Market segmentation by end-user
PART 09: Geographical segmentation
- Microdisplay market in Americas
- Microdisplay market in EMEA
- Microdisplay market in APAC
PART 10: Market drivers
- Emerging demand for HUDs
- Focus on reducing global aircraft accident rate
- Increasing use of microdisplays for military purposes
PART 11: Impact of drivers
PART 12: Market challenges
- High cost of production
- Technical issues and design limitations
- Absence of global regulatory framework
- Need for high-quality sensors and bulky nature of HUDs
PART 13: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 14: Market trends
- Growing popularity of microdisplays for different applications
- Emerging demand from automotive industry
- Introduction of next-generation microdisplay technologies
- Introduction of innovative HUDs
- Increasing safety concerns
- Increasing demand for multipurpose helicopters
PART 15: Vendor landscape
- Competitive scenario
- HUD market scenario
- Competitive overview of HUD market in automotive segment
- Competitive scenario of global HUD market in civil aviation
- Key vendors
- Other prominent vendors
PART 16: Summary of key figures
PART 17: Appendix
PART 18: Explore Technavio
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Manufacturers and suppliers
- Channel partners
- Industry experts
- Strategic decision makers
- Industry journals and periodicals
- Government data
- Financial reports of key industry players
- Historical data
- Press releases
- Collation of data
- Estimation of key figures
- Analysis of derived insights
- Triangulation with data models
- Reference against proprietary databases
- Corroboration with industry experts
- Market drivers
- Market challenges
- Market trends
- Five forces analysis
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape