Methanol Market by End-user, Derivative Type, and Geography - Forecast and Analysis 2021-2025
- Published: Oct 2021
- Pages: 120
- SKU: IRTNTR44270
Enjoy complimentary customisation on priority with our Enterprise License!
One user only.
Quick & easy download option
Unlimited user access (Within your organization)
Complimentary Customization Included
The methanol market share is expected to increase by USD 13.23 billion from 2020 to 2025, and the market's growth momentum will accelerate at a CAGR of 10.48%.
This methanol market research report provides valuable insights on the post COVID-19 impact on the market, which will help companies evaluate their business approaches. Furthermore, this report extensively covers methanol market segmentation by end-user (automotive, construction, electronics, paints and coatings, and others), derivative type (formaldehyde, acetic acid, gasoline, DME, and others), and geography (APAC, Europe, North America, MEA, South America). The methanol market report also offers information on several market vendors, including BASF SE, Celanese Corp., ENERKEM Inc., Eni Spa , INEOS Group Holdings SA, LyondellBasell Industries NV, Methanex Corp., OCI NV, Petroliam Nasional Berhad , and Proman AG among others.
What will the Methanol Market Size be During the Forecast Period?
Download the Free Report Sample to Unlock the Methanol Market Size for the Forecast Period and Other Important Statistics
Methanol Market: Key Drivers, Trends, and Challenges
The rising demand for methanol from china is notably driving the methanol market growth, although factors such as fluctuating methanol prices may impede market growth. Our research analysts have studied the historical data and deduced the key market drivers and the COVID-19 pandemic impact on the methanol industry. The holistic analysis of the drivers will help in deducing end goals and refining marketing strategies to gain a competitive edge.
Key Methanol Market Driver
Rising demand for methanol from China is a major driver fueling the methanol market growth. The demand for methanol and its derivatives in China has been rising progressively since the 1980s, as the country has embraced methanol as a clean transportation fuel. The low cost of methanol, as compared with conventional fuels globally, is further encouraging methanol fuel blending. The process is gaining momentum in emerging economies such as India, Brazil, and China, primarily because methanol blends offer clean fuel benefits at a low cost. The adoption of methanol as an alternative fuel and the advantage associated with methanol being able to use alternative feedstocks such as coal and natural gas in countries like China, which have limited domestic oil reserves, are propelling the growth of the global market. Methanol is an ideal solution for China as it aids in meeting the country's increasing fuel demand and strengthens its domestic energy economy. Methanol can be processed from several readily available feedstocks such as natural gas, coal, and biomass.Furthermore, the availability of coal resources as one of the major feedstocks has boosted China to become the prominent consumer and producer of methanol worldwide. With the help of several other factors such as the low price of methanol as compared to gasoline, and the capacity of the country to produce surplus quantities of methanol domestically, China will continue dominating the global methanol market in the coming years.
Key Methanol Market Trend
The shale gas boom in North America is a major trend influencing the methanol market growth. Recently, the shale revolution has led to the high production of oil and natural gas in North America. This revolution led to advancements in oil and natural gas production technologies, such as a new combination of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing. Resources of shale oil and natural gas are found in shale formations. Large-scale shale natural gas production began in the US when shale gas was commercially produced in Barnett Shale in Texas, US. Production of Barnett Shale natural gas was established by Mitchell Energy & Development. With the commercial success of Barnett Shale, other companies also started drilling wells in this formation. The US is benefitted from the accessibility of domestic energy resources, which reduces the country s dependence on imported energy.It has been estimated that the maximum shale gas is probably available outside North America in regions such as Europe, Mexico, China, and Argentina. These regions have an abundant potential to meet the rising demand for methane but are left unattended, and there has been very little development in these regions.
Key Methanol Market Challenge
Fluctuating methanol prices are a major hindrance to the methanol market growth. The global methanol market is extremely competitive, and methanol-related products' prices are affected by the demand and supply fundamentals. In 2019, a steep decline in crude oil and related products' prices reduced the affordability of various energy-related applications for methanol. This factor ultimately lowered methanol prices by the end of 2019. China remained the most affected country due to the devaluation of the Chinese currency in 2019, coupled with the downward shift in the methanol cost curve owing to lower coal and gas feedstock costs. The contract prices for methanol continued to shift lower in 2018. Thereafter, the methanol prices are likely to vary depending on new supply additions, the strength of the global economy, global energy prices, industry operating rates, and the strength of global demand. The fluctuating price of methanol will then affect the prices of methanol derivatives like formaldehyde and acetic acid.
This methanol market analysis report also provides detailed information on other upcoming trends and challenges that will have a far-reaching effect on the market growth. The actionable insights on the trends and challenges will help companies evaluate and develop growth strategies for 2021-2025.
Parent Market Analysis
Technavio categorizes the global methanol market as a part of the global commodity chemicals market. Our research report has extensively covered external factors influencing the parent market growth potential in the coming years, which will determine the levels of growth of the methanol market during the forecast period.
Who are the Major Methanol Market Vendors?
The report analyzes the market's competitive landscape and offers information on several market vendors, including:
- BASF SE
- Celanese Corp.
- ENERKEM Inc.
- Eni Spa
- INEOS Group Holdings SA
- LyondellBasell Industries NV
- Methanex Corp.
- OCI NV
- Petroliam Nasional Berhad
- Proman AG
This statistical study of the methanol market encompasses successful business strategies deployed by the key vendors. The methanol market is fragmented and the vendors are deploying various organic and inorganic growth strategies to compete in the market.
To make the most of the opportunities and recover from post COVID-19 impact, market vendors should focus more on the growth prospects in the fast-growing segments, while maintaining their positions in the slow-growing segments.
The methanol market forecast report offers in-depth insights into key vendor profiles. The profiles include information on the production, sustainability, and prospects of the leading companies.
Methanol Market Value Chain Analysis
Our report provides extensive information on the value chain analysis for the methanol market, which vendors can leverage to gain a competitive advantage during the forecast period. The end-to-end understanding of the value chain is essential in profit margin optimization and evaluation of business strategies. The data available in our value chain analysis segment can help vendors drive costs and enhance customer services during the forecast period.
The value chain of global commodity chemicals market includes the following core components:
- Inbound logistics
- Outbound logistics
- Marketing and sales
- Support activities
The report has further elucidated on other innovative approaches being followed by the manufacturer to ensure a sustainable market presence.
Which are the Key Regions for Methanol Market?
For more insights on the market share of various regions Request for a FREE sample now!
78% of the market's growth will originate from APAC during the forecast period. China, South Korea (Republic of Korea), Japan, and India are the key markets for the methanol market in the region. Market growth in this region will be faster than the growth of the market in regions.
The wide range of applications of methanol will facilitate the methanol market growth in APAC over the forecast period. This market research report entails detailed information on the competitive intelligence, marketing gaps, and regional opportunities in store for vendors, which will assist in creating efficient business plans.
What are the Revenue-generating End User Segments in the Methanol Market?
To gain further insights on the market contribution of various segments Request for a FREE sample
The methanol market share growth by the automotive segment will be significant during the forecast period. Methanol is the simplest affiliate of alcohols and consists of four parts of hydrogen, one part of oxygen, and one part of carbon. It is prominently produced on an industrial scale by using natural gas as the chief feedstock. Methanol is used to produce various derivatives such as formaldehyde, acetic acid, and gasoline. These find applications in end-use industries such as building materials, paints, polyester, foams, resins, plastics, pharmaceutical products. Methanol is also used as a clean-burning, biodegradable fuel.
This report provides an accurate prediction of the contribution of all the segments to the growth of the methanol market size and actionable market insights on post COVID-19 impact on each segment.
Methanol Market Scope
Growth momentum & CAGR
Accelerate at a CAGR of 10.48%
Market growth 2021-2025
$ 13.23 billion
YoY growth (%)
APAC, Europe, North America, MEA, South America, APAC, Europe, North America, MEA, and South America
Performing market contribution
APAC at 78%
Key consumer countries
China, South Korea (Republic of Korea), Japan, US, and India
Leading companies, Competitive strategies, Consumer engagement scope
Key companies profiled
BASF SE, Celanese Corp., ENERKEM Inc., Eni Spa , INEOS Group Holdings SA, LyondellBasell Industries NV, Methanex Corp., OCI NV, Petroliam Nasional Berhad , and Proman AG
Parent market analysis, Market growth inducers and obstacles, Fast-growing and slow-growing segment analysis, COVID 19 impact and recovery analysis and future consumer dynamics, Market condition analysis for forecast period
If our report has not included the data that you are looking for, you can reach out to our analysts and get segments customized.
What are the Key Data Covered in this Methanol Market Report?
- CAGR of the market during the forecast period 2021-2025
- Detailed information on factors that will drive methanol market growth during the next five years
- Precise estimation of the methanol market size and its contribution to the parent market
- Accurate predictions on upcoming trends and changes in consumer behavior
- The growth of the methanol industry across APAC, Europe, North America, MEA, South America, APAC, Europe, North America, MEA, and South America
- A thorough analysis of the market's competitive landscape and detailed information on vendors
- Comprehensive details of factors that will challenge the growth of methanol market vendors
We can help! Our analysts can customize this report to meet your requirements. Get in touch
1 Executive Summary
2 Market Landscape
- 2.1 Market ecosystem
- Exhibit 01: Parent market
- Exhibit 02: Market characteristics
- 2.2 Value chain analysis
- Exhibit 03: Value chain analysis: Commodity chemicals
3 Market Sizing
- 3.1 Market definition
- Exhibit 04: Offerings of vendors included in the market definition
- 3.2 Market segment analysis
- Exhibit 05: Market segments
- 3.3 Market size 2020
- 3.4 Market outlook: Forecast for 2020 - 2025
- Exhibit 06: Global - Market size and forecast 2020 - 2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 07: Global market: Year-over-year growth 2020 - 2025 (%)
4 Five Forces Analysis
- 4.1 Five forces summary
- Exhibit 08: Five forces analysis 2020 & 2025
- 4.2 Bargaining power of buyers
- Exhibit 09: Bargaining power of buyers
- 4.3 Bargaining power of suppliers
- Exhibit 10: Bargaining power of suppliers
- 4.4 Threat of new entrants
- Exhibit 11: Threat of new entrants
- 4.5 Threat of substitutes
- Exhibit 12: Threat of substitutes
- 4.6 Threat of rivalry
- Exhibit 13: Threat of rivalry
- 4.7 Market condition
- Exhibit 14: Market condition - Five forces 2020
5 Market Segmentation by End-user
- 5.1 Market segments
- Exhibit 15: End-user - Market share 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.2 Comparison by End-user
- Exhibit 16: Comparison by End-user
- 5.3 Automotive - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 17: Automotive - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 18: Automotive - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.4 Construction - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 19: Construction - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 20: Construction - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.5 Electronics - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 21: Electronics - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 22: Electronics - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.6 Paints and coatings - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 23: Paints and coatings - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 24: Paints and coatings - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.7 Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 25: Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 26: Others - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.8 Market opportunity by End-user
- Exhibit 27: Market opportunity by End-user
6 Market Segmentation by Derivative type
- 6.1 Market segments
- Exhibit 28: Derivative type - Market share 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.2 Comparison by Derivative type
- Exhibit 29: Comparison by Derivative type
- 6.3 Formaldehyde - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 30: Formaldehyde - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 31: Formaldehyde - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.4 Acetic acid - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 32: Acetic acid - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 33: Acetic acid - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.5 Gasoline - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 34: Gasoline - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 35: Gasoline - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.6 DME - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 36: DME - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 37: DME - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.7 Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- 6.8 Market opportunity by Derivative type
- Exhibit 40: Market opportunity by Derivative type
7 Customer landscape
8 Geographic Landscape
- 8.1 Geographic segmentation
- Exhibit 42: Market share by geography 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.2 Geographic comparison
- Exhibit 43: Geographic comparison
- 8.3 APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 44: APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 45: APAC - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.4 Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 46: Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 47: Europe - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.5 North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 48: North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 49: North America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.6 MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 50: MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 51: MEA - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.7 South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 52: South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 53: South America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.8 Key leading countries
- 8.9 Market opportunity by geography
- Exhibit 55: Market opportunity by geography ($ million)
9 Drivers, Challenges, and Trends
- 9.1 Market drivers
- 9.2 Market challenges
- Exhibit 56: Impact of drivers and challenges
- 9.3 Market trends
10 Vendor Landscape
- 10.1 Overview
- 10.2 Vendor landscape
- Exhibit 57: Vendor landscape
- 10.3 Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 58: Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 59: Industry risks
11 Vendor Analysis
- 11.1 Vendors covered
- Exhibit 60: Vendors covered
- 11.2 Market positioning of vendors
- Exhibit 61: Market positioning of vendors
- 11.3 BASF SE
- Exhibit 62: BASF SE - Overview
- Exhibit 63: BASF SE - Business segments
- Exhibit 64: BASF SE- Key news
- Exhibit 65: BASF SE - Key offerings
- Exhibit 66: BASF SE - Segment focus
- 11.4 Celanese Corp.
- Exhibit 67: Celanese Corp. - Overview
- Exhibit 68: Celanese Corp. - Business segments
- Exhibit 69: Celanese Corp.-Key news
- Exhibit 70: Celanese Corp. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 71: Celanese Corp. - Segment focus
- 11.5 ENERKEM Inc.
- Exhibit 72: ENERKEM Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 73: ENERKEM Inc. - Product and service
- Exhibit 74: ENERKEM Inc. - Key offerings
- 11.6 Eni Spa
- Exhibit 75: Eni Spa - Overview
- Exhibit 76: Eni Spa - Business segments
- Exhibit 77: Eni Spa -Key news
- Exhibit 78: Eni Spa - Key offerings
- Exhibit 79: Eni Spa - Segment focus
- 11.7 INEOS Group Holdings SA
- Exhibit 80: INEOS Group Holdings SA - Overview
- Exhibit 81: INEOS Group Holdings SA - Business segments
- Exhibit 82: INEOS Group Holdings SA-Key news
- Exhibit 83: INEOS Group Holdings SA - Key offerings
- Exhibit 84: INEOS Group Holdings SA - Segment focus
- 11.8 LyondellBasell Industries NV
- Exhibit 85: LyondellBasell Industries NV - Overview
- Exhibit 86: LyondellBasell Industries NV - Business segments
- Exhibit 87: LyondellBasell Industries NV-Key news
- Exhibit 88: LyondellBasell Industries NV - Key offerings
- Exhibit 89: LyondellBasell Industries NV - Segment focus
- 11.9 Methanex Corp.
- Exhibit 90: Methanex Corp. - Overview
- Exhibit 91: Methanex Corp. - Business segments
- Exhibit 92: Methanex Corp. - Key offerings
- 11.10 OCI NV
- Exhibit 93: OCI NV - Overview
- Exhibit 94: OCI NV - Business segments
- Exhibit 95: OCI NV - Key offerings
- Exhibit 96: OCI NV - Segment focus
- 11.11 Petroliam Nasional Berhad
- Exhibit 97: Petroliam Nasional Berhad - Overview
- Exhibit 98: Petroliam Nasional Berhad - Business segments
- Exhibit 99: Petroliam Nasional Berhad - Key offerings
- Exhibit 100: Petroliam Nasional Berhad - Segment focus
- 11.12 Proman AG
- Exhibit 101: Proman AG - Overview
- Exhibit 102: Proman AG - Product and service
- Exhibit 103: Proman AG - Key offerings
- 12.1 Scope of the report
- 12.2 Currency conversion rates for US$
- Exhibit 104: Currency conversion rates for US$
- 12.3 Research methodology
- Exhibit 105: Research Methodology
- Exhibit 106: Validation techniques employed for market sizing
- Exhibit 107: Information sources
- 12.4 List of abbreviations
- Exhibit 108: List of abbreviations
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape
Get your sample now!
Frequently Asked Questions?
- South Korea (Republic of Korea)
- Rising demand for methanol from China
- Shale gas boom in North America
Key Questions Answered
- What are the key global market and the regional market share?
- What are the revenue-generating key market segments?
- What are the key factors driving and challenging this market’s growth?
- Who are the key market vendors and their growth strategies?
- What are the latest trends influencing the growth of this market?
- What are the variables influencing the market growth in the primary regions?
- What are the factors influencing the growth of the parent market?
Why should you prefer Technavio's market insights report?
Certified ISO 9001 : 2015
We are ISO 9001:2015 recognized that ensures quality services and product delivery to our clients.
We are GDPR and CCPA compliant! Your transaction & personal information is protected from unauthorized use.
One user only.
Quick & easy download option
Unlimited user access (Within your organization)
Complimentary Customization Included
Get the report (PDF) sent to your email within minutes.
Subscribe & Save
Get lifetime access to our
Did you know?
Did you know?
Did you know?
Customized Report as per your Business Needs
- Our analysts will work directly with you and understand your needs
- Get data on specified regions or segments, competitor and Vendors
- Data will be formatted and presented as per your requirements
- We offer $1000 worth of FREE customization at the time of purchase
Let us help you make report more suited to your requirements.
- Get a competitive breakdown as per your niche industry
- Customize the data with various metrics that meet your business prerequisite
- Understand Revenue Sources, Customers and many more
- Details on Market Share
- These customizations are done in a short amount of time by our analysts and industry experts