Frac Sand Market by Type and Geography - Forecast and Analysis 2021-2025
- Published: May 2021
- Pages: 119
- SKU: IRTNTR41563
Purchase this report now and if we publish a new version within 90 days, we will send you a free copy.
The frac sand market share is expected to increase by USD 1.59 billion from 2020 to 2025, and the market’s growth momentum will accelerate at a CAGR of 4%.
This frac sand market research report provides valuable insights on the post COVID-19 impact on the market, which will help companies evaluate their business approaches. Furthermore, this report extensively covers frac sand market segmentations by type (white sand and brown sand) and geography (North America, Europe, APAC, MEA, and South America). The frac sand market report also offers information on several market vendors, including Badger Mining Corp., CARBO Ceramics Inc., Covia Holdings Corp., Emerge Energy Services LP, Hi Crush Inc., Sibelco Group, Sierra Frac Sand LLC, SmartSand Inc., Source Energy Services Ltd., and US Silica Holdings Inc. among others.
What will the Frac Sand Market Size be During the Forecast Period?
Download the Free Report Sample to Unlock the Frac Sand Market Size for the Forecast Period and Other Important Statistics
Frac Sand Market: Key Drivers, Trends, and Challenges
Based on our research output, there has been a neutral impact on the market growth during and post COVID-19 era. The growing demand for fine mesh raw frac sand is notably driving the frac sand market growth, although factors such as increasing dependency on renewable energy source may impede market growth. Our research analysts have studied the historical data and deduced the key market drivers and the COVID-19 pandemic impact on the frac sand industry. The holistic analysis of the drivers will help in deducing end goals and refining marketing strategies to gain a competitive edge.
Key Frac Sand Market Driver
One of the key factors driving the frac sand market growth is the growing demand for fine mesh raw frac sand. Fine mesh raw frac sand is a proppant used during extracting oil and natural gas and enhancing the flow. It is relatively more cost-effective than other proppants such as resin-coated sand and manufactured ceramics. The increasing use of fine mesh raw frac sand as a proppant is driving the global frac sand market. The demand for fine mesh raw frac sand, including the Northern White sand, is increasing, especially in the US, owing to factors such as the adoption of various technological advances, increased demand for petroleum products, and the emergence of unconventional oil and natural gas reservoirs in North America. The oil and gas industry is increasingly adopting cost-effective proppants such as fine mesh raw frac sand. Furthermore, small grain sizes of 200 mesh increase flowability, thus allowing the proppant to penetrate farther into fractures when pumped in larger volumes. Owing to advantages, fine mesh raw frac sand allows fractures to remain open for longer durations in locations that would typically close because they are physically unreachable by the coarser grains.
Key Frac Sand Market Trend
Another key factor driving the frac sand market growth is the growing petroleum refining. The oil and gas and petrochemical industries are growing at a rapid pace. In the past few years, both industries have shown significant growth due to the increasing global population and energy demand. Therefore, the rapid growth of the oil and gas industry is expected to drive the growth of the global frac sand market during the forecast period. According to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), the global consumption of petroleum and other liquid fuels is estimated to reach 102.93 million barrels per day (mbpd) in 2020, which was 98.55 mbpd in 2017. After witnessing a slowdown in capacity additions between 2014 and 2016, the investment in new refineries is rising again and is expected to witness steady growth during the forecast period. Several major refinery expansions, which are expected to be completed during the forecast period, are either under planning or in the construction stage. The global oil and gas industry is likely to witness such expansions in the future. The increasing requirement for petroleum refining and the continuously growing oil refinery capacity is one of the prominent trends in the global frac sand market.
Key Frac Sand Market Challenge
Increasing dependency on renewable energy sources is one of the key challenges hindering the frac sand market growth. Factors such as the globally increasing energy demand, implementation of clean energy initiatives, and subsidies for power generation using sustainable sources are promoting the use of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind. Renewable energy sources are clean, inexhaustive, less carbon-intensive, and sustainable. Therefore, governments of various countries are undertaking several initiatives to mitigate GHG emissions. Many countries are shifting their focus from conventional fuels to renewables to reduce the emission of hazardous gases that affect the environment. According to the IEA, in 2018, 25% of the global power demand was met by renewables; the share is expected to increase to 30% by 2023. In June 2019, India announced its goal to achieve 500 gigawatts of renewable energy capacity by 2030. Therefore, the rising dependence on renewable energy sources will negatively impact the consumption of conventional fossil fuels such as oil and gas. This will hamper oil and gas E&P activities in the future. The growing emphasis on renewables will also challenge the growth of the global frac sand market during the forecast period.
This frac sand market analysis report also provides detailed information on other upcoming trends and challenges that will have a far-reaching effect on the market growth. The actionable insights on the trends and challenges will help companies evaluate and develop growth strategies for 2021-2025.
Parent Market Analysis
Technavio categorizes the global frac sand market as a part of the global specialty chemicals market. Our research report has extensively covered external factors influencing the parent market growth potential in the coming years, which will determine the levels of growth of the frac sand market during the forecast period.
Who are the Major Frac Sand Market Vendors?
The report analyzes the market’s competitive landscape and offers information on several market vendors, including:
- Badger Mining Corp.
- CARBO Ceramics Inc.
- Covia Holdings Corp.
- Emerge Energy Services LP
- Hi Crush Inc.
- Sibelco Group
- Sierra Frac Sand LLC
- SmartSand Inc.
- Source Energy Services Ltd.
- US Silica Holdings Inc.
This statistical study of the frac sand market encompasses successful business strategies deployed by the key vendors. The frac sand market is fragmented and the vendors are deploying growth strategies such as organic and inorganic strategies to compete in the market.
Product Insights and News
- CARBO Ceramics Inc.- The company offers CARBONORTHERN-WHITE, high-conductivity Ottawa frac sand to various industries such as oil and gas, construction, agriculture, foundry, mining, and environmental.
To make the most of the opportunities and recover from post COVID-19 impact, market vendors should focus more on the growth prospects in the fast-growing segments, while maintaining their positions in the slow-growing segments.
The frac sand market forecast report offers in-depth insights into key vendor profiles. The profiles include information on the production, sustainability, and prospects of the leading companies.
Frac Sand Market Value Chain Analysis
Our report provides extensive information on the value chain analysis for the frac sand market, which vendors can leverage to gain a competitive advantage during the forecast period. The end-to-end understanding of the value chain is essential in profit margin optimization and evaluation of business strategies. The data available in our value chain analysis segment can help vendors drive costs and enhance customer services during the forecast period.
The report has further elucidated on other innovative approaches being followed by vendors to ensure a sustainable market presence.
Which are the Key Regions for Frac Sand Market?
For more insights on the market share of various regions Request for a FREE sample now!
61% of the market’s growth will originate from North America during the forecast period. US and Canada are the key markets for frac sand in North America. Market growth in this region will be slower than the growth of the market in other regions.
The large-scale adoption of hydraulic fracturing in the extraction of oil and gas from shale is garnering greater investments in unconventional production will facilitate the frac sand market growth in North America over the forecast period. This market research report entails detailed information on the competitive intelligence, marketing gaps, and regional opportunities in store for vendors, which will assist in creating efficient business plans.
COVID Impact and Recovery Analysis
The outbreak of COVID-19 in 2020 affected all countries in North America, especially the US. This negatively impacted the frac sand market in North America. Mandatory lockdowns were imposed for several months in 2020 to mitigate the risk of COVID-19. As a result, most non-essential and non-urgent industrial operations were closed as per the regulations. This led to a decline in demand for various goods and products that support industrial operations. Thus, the pandemic situation affected the growth of the frac sand market in the region in 2020. However, the market growth is expected to stabilize in the latter half of the forecast period depending on when the pandemic is contained and to what extent that businesses can adjust their activities and operations with the new normal.
What are the Revenue-generating Type Segments in the Frac Sand Market?
To gain further insights on the market contribution of various segments Request for a FREE sample
The frac sand market share growth by the white sand will be significant during the forecast period. White frac sand is monocrystalline sand, predominantly found in Wisconsin, US, and limited areas in the upper Midwest region of the US. The growing demand for oil and natural gas globally, especially in North America, will drive the consumption of white frac sand during the forecast period.
Besides the above-mentioned factors, the post COVID-19 impact has brought forth a slowdown in or fast tracked the demand for the service or product. This report provides an accurate prediction of the contribution of all the segments to the growth of the frac sand market size and actionable market insights on post COVID-19 impact on each segment.
Frac Sand Market Scope
Growth momentum & CAGR
Accelerate at a CAGR of 4%
Market growth 2021-2025
$ 1.59 billion
YoY growth (%)
North America, Europe, APAC, MEA, and South America
Performing market contribution
North America at 61%
Key consumer countries
US, Canada, China, Australia, and Argentina
Leading companies, Competitive strategies, Consumer engagement scope
Key companies profiled
Badger Mining Corp., CARBO Ceramics Inc., Covia Holdings Corp., Emerge Energy Services LP, Hi Crush Inc., Sibelco Group, Sierra Frac Sand LLC, SmartSand Inc., Source Energy Services Ltd., and US Silica Holdings Inc.
Parent market analysis, Market growth inducers and obstacles, Fast-growing and slow-growing segment analysis, COVID 19 impact and recovery analysis and future consumer dynamics, Market condition analysis for forecast period
If our report has not included the data that you are looking for, you can reach out to our analysts and get segments customized.
What are the Key Data Covered in this Frac Sand Market Report?
- CAGR of the market during the forecast period 2021-2025
- Detailed information on factors that will drive frac sand market growth during the next five years
- Precise estimation of the frac sand market size and its contribution to the parent market
- Accurate predictions on upcoming trends and changes in consumer behavior
- The growth of the frac sand industry across North America, Europe, APAC, MEA, and South America
- A thorough analysis of the market’s competitive landscape and detailed information on vendors
- Comprehensive details of factors that will challenge the growth of frac sand market vendors
We can help! Our analysts can customize this report to meet your requirements. Get in touch
1 Executive Summary
2 Market Landscape
- 2.1 Market ecosystem
- Exhibit 01: Parent market
- Exhibit 02: Market characteristics
- 2.2 Value chain analysis
- Exhibit 03: Value Chain Analysis: Specialty chemicals
3 Market Sizing
- 3.1 Market definition
- Exhibit 04: Offerings of vendors included in the market definition
- 3.2 Market segment analysis
- Exhibit 05: Market segments
- 3.3 Market size 2020
- 3.4 Market outlook: Forecast for 2020 - 2025
- Exhibit 06: Global - Market size and forecast 2020 - 2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 07: Global market: Year-over-year growth 2020 - 2025 (%)
4 Five Forces Analysis
- 4.1 Five forces summary
- Exhibit 08: Five forces analysis 2020 & 2025
- 4.2 Bargaining power of buyers
- Exhibit 09: Bargaining power of buyers
- 4.3 Bargaining power of suppliers
- Exhibit 10: Bargaining power of suppliers
- 4.4 Threat of new entrants
- Exhibit 11: Threat of new entrants
- 4.5 Threat of substitutes
- Exhibit 12: Threat of substitutes
- 4.6 Threat of rivalry
- Exhibit 13: Threat of rivalry
- 4.7 Market condition
- Exhibit 14: Market condition - Five forces 2020
5 Market Segmentation by Type
- 5.1 Market segments
- Exhibit 15: Type - Market share 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.2 Comparison by Type
- Exhibit 16: Comparison by Type
- 5.3 White sand - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 17: White sand - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 18: White sand - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.4 Brown sand - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 19: Brown sand - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 20: Brown sand - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.5 Market opportunity by Type
- Exhibit 21: Market opportunity by Type
6 Customer landscape
- 6.1 Customer Landscape
- Exhibit 22: Customer landscape
7 Geographic Landscape
- 7.1 Geographic segmentation
- Exhibit 23: Market share by geography 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.2 Geographic comparison
- Exhibit 24: Geographic comparison
- 7.3 North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 25: North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 26: North America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.4 Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 27: Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 28: Europe - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.5 APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 29: APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 30: APAC - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.6 MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 31: MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 32: MEA - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.7 South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 33: South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 34: South America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.8 Key leading countries
- Exhibit 35: Key leading countries
- 7.9 Market opportunity by geography
- Exhibit 36: Market opportunity by geography ($ million)
8 Drivers, Challenges, and Trends
- 8.1 Market drivers
- 8.2 Market challenges
- Exhibit 37: Impact of drivers and challenges
- 8.3 Market trends
9 Vendor Landscape
- 9.1 Vendor Landscape
- Exhibit 38: Vendor landscape
- 9.2 Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 39: Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 40: Industry risks
- 9.3 Competitive scenario
10 Vendor Analysis
- 10.1 Vendors covered
- Exhibit 41: Vendors covered
- 10.2 Market positioning of vendors
- Exhibit 42: Market positioning of vendors
- 10.3 Badger Mining Corp.
- Exhibit 43: Badger Mining Corp. - Overview
- Exhibit 44: Badger Mining Corp. - Product and service
- Exhibit 45: Badger Mining Corp. - Key offerings
- 10.4 CARBO Ceramics Inc.
- 10.5 Covia Holdings Corp.
- Exhibit 50: Covia Holdings Corp. - Overview
- Exhibit 51: Covia Holdings Corp. - Product and service
- Exhibit 52: Covia Holdings Corp. - Key offerings
- 10.6 Emerge Energy Services LP
- Exhibit 53: Emerge Energy Services LP - Overview
- Exhibit 54: Emerge Energy Services LP - Product and service
- Exhibit 55: Emerge Energy Services LP - Key offerings
- 10.7 Hi Crush Inc.
- Exhibit 56: Hi Crush Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 57: Hi Crush Inc. - Product and service
- Exhibit 58: Hi Crush Inc.– Key news
- Exhibit 59: Hi Crush Inc. - Key offerings
- 10.8 Sibelco Group
- Exhibit 60: Sibelco Group - Overview
- Exhibit 61: Sibelco Group - Product and service
- Exhibit 62: Sibelco Group - Key offerings
- 10.9 Sierra Frac Sand LLC
- Exhibit 63: Sierra Frac Sand LLC - Overview
- Exhibit 64: Sierra Frac Sand LLC - Product and service
- Exhibit 65: Sierra Frac Sand LLC - Key offerings
- 10.10 SmartSand Inc.
- Exhibit 66: SmartSand Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 67: SmartSand Inc. - Product and service
- Exhibit 68: SmartSand Inc. – Key news
- Exhibit 69: SmartSand Inc. - Key offerings
- 10.11 Source Energy Services Ltd.
- Exhibit 70: Source Energy Services Ltd. - Overview
- Exhibit 71: Source Energy Services Ltd. - Product and service
- Exhibit 72: Source Energy Services Ltd. - Key offerings
- 10.12 US Silica Holdings Inc.
- Exhibit 73: US Silica Holdings Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 74: US Silica Holdings Inc. - Business segments
- Exhibit 75: US Silica Holdings Inc. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 76: US Silica Holdings Inc. - Segment focus
- 11.1 Scope of the report
- 11.2 Currency conversion rates for US$
- Exhibit 77: Currency conversion rates for US$
- 11.3 Research methodology
- Exhibit 78: Research Methodology
- Exhibit 79: Validation techniques employed for market sizing
- Exhibit 80: Information sources
- 11.4 List of abbreviations
- Exhibit 81: List of abbreviations
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape
Get your FREE sample now!
Frequently Asked Questions?
- Abundance of unconventional oil and gas resources
Get the report (PDF) sent to your email within minutes.
Subscribe & Save
Get lifetime access to our
Did you know?
Did you know?
Did you know?
Want to customize this report?
This report can be personalized according to your needs. Our analysts and industry experts will work directly with you to understand your requirements and provide you with customized data in a short amount of time.