Overview of the global mobile EMV POS terminals market
Market research analysts at Technavio have predicted that the global mobile EMV (Europay, MasterCard, and Visa) POS terminals market will grow impressively during the forecast period and post a CAGR of almost 18% by 2020. In contactless payment systems, the transaction takes place with the help of Near-Field Communication (NFC) technology that is present in transmitters and readers. The cards issued to customers have a symbol that is unique to contactless payments. When placed near a contactless reader, these transmitters can accept payments within seconds. Not just cards, even smartphones and smartwatches can also be used as contactless transmitters. Contactless payment systems are by far the fastest mode of making payments and the demand for such systems is increasing exponentially as users find these systems quick and easy to make payments. This will subsequently increase the adoption of contactless payment systems, which will lead to the rise in demand for mobile EMV compliant POS terminals.
In terms of geography, APAC will account for more than 51% of the total share of the market by 2020 and will also dominate the industry throughout the forecast period. This will mainly attribute to the increased preference toward non-cash payment methods in the region. The presence of several unorganized retailers, the growing number of retail outlet establishments, and the increasing purchasing power of end-consumers will also contribute to the growth of the market. Moreover, the increasing foreign direct investments in developing countries such as India will also result in increased investment in the retail and hospitality sectors, which will again drive the demand for POS terminals in the next four years.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
This market is currently witnessing a major shift in competition from mature markets in Europe to potential markets such as the US, India, China, and Brazil. Vendors in the market have started focusing on the growing economies such as India, China, Brazil, and other economies in Southeast Asia and South America. End-users in these economies mainly demand on low-cost payment solutions, and they emphasize less on product features, product brand, and enhancements. As a result, there is minimal product differentiation, and the POS terminal vendors focus more on developing different strategies to stay ahead of their competitors. Vendor competition in the market is intense and the market is also expected to witness a number of M&As where large established vendors will acquire small and medium-sized enterprises to gain a considerable share of the market.
The leading vendors in the market are -
- PAX Technology
The other prominent vendors in the market are ATOS Worldline, CyberNet, Equinox Payments, First Data, NCR, and Spire Payments.
Segmentation by EMV compliance and analysis of the mobile EMV POS terminals market
- Mobile non-EMV POS terminals
- Mobile EMV POS terminals
The mobile EMV POS terminals segment accounted for about 82% of the total share of the market and dominated this industry during 2015. Regulations set by the EMV payment association mandate the implementation of EMV-compliant payment cards in countries all across the globe. As a result, a number of economies have already rolled out EMV-compliant payment cards which will drive the demand for mobile EMV POS terminals. Additionally, countries such as India, are introducing EMV payment cards in phases, which will add to the growth in demand for mobile EMV POS terminals in the coming years.
Segmentation by end-user and analysis of the mobile EMV POS terminals market
According to this market study, the hospitality segment will account for almost 60% of the total share of the mobile EMV POS system market by 2020 and will also dominate the market throughout the forecast period. This sector includes hotel chains, restaurants, fast food joints, and the entertainment industry, where merchants continuously focus on expanding their businesses and serve customers at their doorsteps. This requirement will propel the demand for mobile EMV POS terminals as they enhance the experience of the customer by facilitating fast check-ins and offering discounts.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the global mobile EMV POS terminals market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the global mobile EMV POS terminals market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in the global mobile EMV POS terminals market?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global mobile EMV POS terminals market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, and EMEA.
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the global mobile EMV POS terminals market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Content
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Market overview
- Base year and forecast period
- Compliance segmentation
- Product segmentation
- End-user segmentation
- Geographical segmentation
- Top-vendor offerings
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market overview
- POS industry overview
- Market size and forecast
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by EMV compliance
PART 07: Market segmentation by end-user
PART 08: Geographical segmentation
PART 09: Market drivers
- Increasing number of card transactions
- Wider adoption of contactless payment systems
- Rising regulatory intervention on secure payments
- Increasing e-commerce transactions
PART 10: Impact of drivers
PART 11: Market challenges
- Increased adoption of mobile card readers
- Increase in payment-card-related fraud
- Misconceptions regarding EMV POS terminals
- Growing number of online transactions
PART 12: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 13: Market trends
- Increased demand for value-added services
- Increased adoption of cloud-based solutions
- Emergence of big data management
PART 14: Vendor landscape
- Competitive scenario
- Major vendors
- Other prominent vendors
PART 15: Appendix
PART 16: Explore Technavio
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Manufacturers and suppliers
- Channel partners
- Industry experts
- Strategic decision makers
- Industry journals and periodicals
- Government data
- Financial reports of key industry players
- Historical data
- Press releases
- Collation of data
- Estimation of key figures
- Analysis of derived insights
- Triangulation with data models
- Reference against proprietary databases
- Corroboration with industry experts
- Market drivers
- Market challenges
- Market trends
- Five forces analysis
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape