MOOCs Market by Type, Subjects, and Geography - Forecast and Analysis 2021-2025
- Published: Feb 2021
- Pages: 144
- SKU: IRTNTR40509
Purchase this report now and if we publish a new version within 90 days, we will send you a free copy.
The MOOCs market share is expected to increase by USD 16.01 billion from 2020 to 2025, and the market’s growth momentum will accelerate at a CAGR of 32%. This MOOCs market research report provides valuable insights on the post COVID-19 impact on the market, which will help companies evaluate their business approaches. The MOOCs market report also offers information on several market vendors, including Coursera Inc., edX Inc., FutureLearn Ltd., Instructure Inc., iversity Learning Solutions GmbH, SAP SE, Telefonica SA, Udacity Inc., Udemy Inc., and XuetangX among others. Furthermore, this report extensively covers MOOCs market segmentation by type (xMOOCs and cMOOCs), subjects (technology, business and management, science, arts and humanities, and others), and geography (North America, APAC, Europe, South America, and MEA).
What will the MOOCs Market Size be During the Forecast Period?
Download the Free Report Sample to Unlock the MOOCs Market Size for the Forecast Period and Other Important Statistics
MOOCs Market: Key Drivers, Trends, and Challenges
Based on our research output, there has been a positive impact on the market growth during and post COVID-19 era. The rise in regional MOOCs is notably driving the MOOCs market growth, although factors such as completion rates may impede market growth. Our research analysts have studied the historical data and deduced the key market drivers and the COVID-19 pandemic impact on the MOOCs industry. The holistic analysis of the drivers will help in deducing end goals and refining marketing strategies to gain a competitive edge.
Key MOOCs Market Driver
One of the key factors driving the MOOCs market growth is the rise in regional MOOCs. The English language continues to dominate as the medium of instruction in the MOOCs market. While languages such as Chinese, German, and Spanish have existed, their prevalence was minimal 2-3 years ago. However, as the learner base expanded and with improved technological solutions, leading players such as Coursera have increased their offerings in other languages as well. As discussed, with emerging economies showing a keen interest in affordable online education, there is a robust growth potential for courses in respective local languages. A substantial portion of learners in these potential regions do not have adequate English communication skills. As a result, although they are keen to pursue numerous courses, lack of English knowledge deters their confidence to interact in learner groups and also grasp the pace of lectures. In addition, it could increase cultural diversity, mainly for learners based out regions such as MEA. With MOOCs in regional languages, vendors intend to overcome these challenges and gain the confidence of this learner group, which presents huge revenue-generating potential to local and international MOOC providers.
Key MOOCs Market Trend
Another key factor driving the MOOCs market growth is the extensive application of MOOCs in corporate training. The learning and development paradigm in the corporate training market is witnessing exhaustive developments mainly on account of increased application technology solutions in training programs. With elements such as e-learning courses, interactive digital content, gamification, visual technologies, and adaptive learning, organizations are in a better position to design and develop training programs. MOOCs have enabled many organizations to ascertain the training programs where they can implement self-paced learning methods, especially for non-technical topics such as soft skills and compliance training. Moreover, leading vendors have also witnessed notable demand for MOOCs from governments across the world for both highly skilled and medium-skilled workforce development. Apart from established enterprises, MOOCs have witnessed huge traction in the SMB segment as well. Key issues these companies deal with are funding, product innovations, and working capital management. Employee skills development, although necessary, is not a focus area owing to the limited availability of resources. Hence, to manage the skills gap, one of the measures startups have begun to implement is to enroll their employees in a pre-determined set of MOOCs that align with their business requirements.
Key MOOCs Market Challenge
Completion rates is one of the key challenges hindering the MOOCs market growth. The leading vendors are introducing numerous MOOCs at a rapid pace, the issue of persistently high drop-out rates continues to challenge the profitability of many vendors in this market. Conventionally, the course completion rate for technical courses has been less than 15% for most classes, irrespective of the course and service provider. Although the objective of providing knowledge through MOOCs platforms is knowledge-sharing and better access to free education, the persistent issue of completion rates continues to be a primary concern. These issues represent the growth potential of enrolments, which is a strong indicator for various investors who fund MOOC providers. Further, low completion rates increase the ambiguity among learners as they could conclude that due to factors such as low quality and lack of accreditation, these courses are not being considered by the learners who have dropped out of the courses they enroll for. In addition, other factors leading to high drop-out rates are the lower availability of appropriate recommendation systems and low scope to implement customization using embedded analytics due to the large learner base for many courses these service providers offer.
This MOOCs market analysis report also provides detailed information on other upcoming trends and challenges that will have a far-reaching effect on the market growth. The actionable insights on the trends and challenges will help companies evaluate and develop growth strategies for 2021-2025.
Parent Market Analysis
Technavio categorizes the global MOOCs market as a part of the global education services market. Our research report has extensively covered external factors influencing the parent market growth potential in the coming years, which will determine the levels of growth of the MOOCs market during the forecast period.
Who are the Major MOOCs Market Vendors?
The report analyzes the market’s competitive landscape and offers information on several market vendors, including:
- Coursera Inc.
- edX Inc.
- FutureLearn Ltd.
- Instructure Inc.
- iversity Learning Solutions GmbH
- SAP SE
- Telefonica SA
- Udacity Inc.
- Udemy Inc.
This statistical study of the MOOCs market encompasses successful business strategies deployed by the key vendors. The MOOCs market is fragmented and the vendors are deploying growth strategies such as increase in product/service extensions, technological innovations, and mergers and acquisitions (M&As) to compete in the market.
Product Insights and News
- Coursera Inc. - The company offers MOOCs such as Introduction to English Common Law and Intercultural Management.
To make the most of the opportunities and recover from post COVID-19 impact, market vendors should focus more on the growth prospects in the fast-growing segments, while maintaining their positions in the slow-growing segments.
The MOOCs market forecast report offers in-depth insights into key vendor profiles. The profiles include information on the production, sustainability, and prospects of the leading companies.
MOOCs Market Value Chain Analysis
Our report provides extensive information on the value chain analysis for the MOOCs market, which vendors can leverage to gain a competitive advantage during the forecast period. The end-to-end understanding of the value chain is essential in profit margin optimization and evaluation of business strategies. The data available in our value chain analysis segment can help vendors drive costs and enhance customer services during the forecast period.
The report has further elucidated on other innovative approaches being followed by service providers to ensure a sustainable market presence.
Which are the Key Regions for MOOCs Market?
For more insights on the market share of various regions Request for a FREE sample now!
35% of the market’s growth will originate from APAC during the forecast period. China and India are the key markets for MOOCs in APAC. Market growth in this region will be faster than the growth of the market in other regions.
Increasing number of enrollments and the rising number of government initiatives for mainstreaming MOOCs in the education services market will facilitate the MOOCs market growth in APAC over the forecast period. This market research report entails detailed information on the competitive intelligence, marketing gaps, and regional opportunities in store for vendors, which will assist in creating efficient business plans.
What are the Revenue-generating Type Segments in the MOOCs Market?
To gain further insights on the market contribution of various segments Request for a FREE sample
The MOOCs market share growth by the xMOOCs will be significant during the forecast period. xMOOCs refers to extended MOOCs, which are primarily based on traditional university courses. Such MOOCs expand the number of students that can take university-level courses. The global xMOOCs market is expected to record steady growth during the forecast period. Moreover, the introduction of xMOOCs learning content by the vendors help learners to access subject sessions at their own pace, is expected to drive the growth of the segment during the forecast period.
Besides the above-mentioned factors, the post COVID-19 impact has brought forth a slowdown in or fast tracked the demand for the service or product. This report provides an accurate prediction of the contribution of all the segments to the growth of the MOOCs market size and actionable market insights on post COVID-19 impact on each segment.
MOOCs Market Scope
Growth momentum & CAGR
Accelerate at a CAGR of 32%
Market growth 2021-2025
$ 16.01 billion
YoY growth (%)
North America, APAC, Europe, South America, and MEA
Performing market contribution
APAC at 35%
Key consumer countries
US, China, UK, India, and Italy
Leading companies, Competitive strategies, Consumer engagement scope
Key companies profiled
Coursera Inc., edX Inc., FutureLearn Ltd., Instructure Inc., iversity Learning Solutions GmbH, SAP SE, Telefonica SA, Udacity Inc., Udemy Inc., and XuetangX
Parent market analysis, Market growth inducers and obstacles, Fast-growing and slow-growing segment analysis, COVID 19 impact and recovery analysis and future consumer dynamics, Market condition analysis for forecast period
If our report has not included the data that you are looking for, you can reach out to our analysts and get segments customized.
What are the Key Data Covered in this MOOCs Market Report?
- CAGR of the market during the forecast period 2021-2025
- Detailed information on factors that will drive MOOCs market growth during the next five years
- Precise estimation of the MOOCs market size and its contribution to the parent market
- Accurate predictions on upcoming trends and changes in consumer behavior
- The growth of the MOOCs industry across North America, APAC, Europe, South America, and MEA
- A thorough analysis of the market’s competitive landscape and detailed information on vendors
- Comprehensive details of factors that will challenge the growth of MOOCs market vendors
We can help! Our analysts can customize this report to meet your requirements. Get in touch
1 Executive Summary
2 Market Landscape
- 2.1 Market ecosystem
- Exhibit 01: Parent market
- Exhibit 02: Market characteristics
- 2.2 Value chain analysis
- Exhibit 03: Value chain analysis for education services market
3 Market Sizing
- 3.1 Market definition
- Exhibit 04: Offerings of vendors included in the market definition
- 3.2 Market segment analysis
- Exhibit 05: Market segments
- 3.3 Market size 2020
- 3.4 Market outlook: Forecast for 2020 - 2025
- Exhibit 06: Global - Market size and forecast 2020 - 2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 07: Global market: Year-over-year growth 2020 - 2025 (%)
4 Five Forces Analysis
- 4.1 Five forces summary
- Exhibit 08: Five forces analysis 2020 & 2025
- 4.2 Bargaining power of buyers
- Exhibit 09: Bargaining power of buyers
- 4.3 Bargaining power of suppliers
- Exhibit 10: Bargaining power of suppliers
- 4.4 Threat of new entrants
- Exhibit 11: Threat of new entrants
- 4.5 Threat of substitutes
- Exhibit 12: Threat of substitutes
- 4.6 Threat of rivalry
- Exhibit 13: Threat of rivalry
- 4.7 Market condition
- Exhibit 14: Market condition - Five forces 2020
5 Market Segmentation by Type
- 5.1 Market segments
- Exhibit 15: Type - Market share 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.2 Comparison by Type
- Exhibit 16: Comparison by Type
- 5.3 xMOOCs - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 17: xMOOCs - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 18: xMOOCs - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.4 cMOOCs - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 19: cMOOCs - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 20: cMOOCs - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.5 Market opportunity by Type
- Exhibit 21: Market opportunity by Type
6 Market Segmentation by Subjects
- 6.1 Market segments
- 6.2 Comparison by Subjects
- 6.3 Technology - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 24: Technology - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 25: Technology - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.4 Business and management - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 26: Business and management - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 27: Business and management - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.5 Science - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 28: Science - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 29: Science - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.6 Arts and humanities - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 30: Arts and humanities - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 31: Arts and humanities - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.7 Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 32: Others - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 33: Others - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 6.8 Market opportunity by Subjects
- Exhibit 34: Market opportunity by Subjects
7 Customer landscape
8 Geographic Landscape
- 8.1 Geographic segmentation
- Exhibit 36: Market share by geography 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.2 Geographic comparison
- Exhibit 37: Geographic comparison
- 8.3 North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 38: North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 39: North America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.4 APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 40: APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 41: APAC - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.5 Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 42: Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 43: Europe - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.6 South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 44: South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 45: South America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.7 MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 46: MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ million)
- Exhibit 47: MEA - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 8.8 COVID-19 pandemic impact and recovery in the market
- 8.9 Key leading countries
- Exhibit 48: Key leading countries
- 8.10 Market opportunity by geography
- Exhibit 49: Market opportunity by geography ($ million)
9 Drivers, Challenges, and Trends
- 9.1 Market drivers
- 9.2 Market challenges
- Exhibit 50: Impact of drivers and challenges
- 9.3 Market trends
10 Vendor Landscape
- 10.1 Overview
- 10.2 Vendor landscape
- Exhibit 51: Vendor landscape
- 10.3 Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 52: Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 53: Industry risks
11 Vendor Analysis
- 11.1 Vendors covered
- Exhibit 54: Vendors covered
- 11.2 Market positioning of vendors
- Exhibit 55: Market positioning of vendors
- 11.3 Coursera Inc.
- Exhibit 56: Coursera Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 57: Coursera Inc. - Product and service
- Exhibit 58: Coursera Inc. - Key offerings
- 11.4 edX Inc.
- Exhibit 59: edX Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 60: edX Inc. - Product and service
- Exhibit 61: edX Inc. – Key news
- Exhibit 62: edX Inc. - Key offerings
- 11.5 FutureLearn Ltd.
- Exhibit 63: FutureLearn Ltd. - Overview
- Exhibit 64: FutureLearn Ltd. - Product and service
- Exhibit 65: FutureLearn Ltd. – Key news
- Exhibit 66: FutureLearn Ltd. - Key offerings
- 11.6 Instructure Inc.
- Exhibit 67: Instructure Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 68: Instructure Inc. - Business segments
- Exhibit 69: Instructure Inc. – Key news
- Exhibit 70: Instructure Inc. - Key offerings
- Exhibit 71: Instructure Inc. - Segment focus
- 11.7 iversity Learning Solutions GmbH
- Exhibit 72: iversity Learning Solutions GmbH - Overview
- Exhibit 73: iversity Learning Solutions GmbH - Business segments
- Exhibit 74: iversity Learning Solutions GmbH - Key offerings
- Exhibit 75: iversity Learning Solutions GmbH - Segment focus
- 11.8 SAP SE
- Exhibit 76: SAP SE - Overview
- Exhibit 77: SAP SE - Business segments
- Exhibit 78: SAP SE - Key offerings
- Exhibit 79: SAP SE - Segment focus
- 11.9 Telefonica SA
- Exhibit 80: Telefonica SA - Overview
- Exhibit 81: Telefonica SA - Business segments
- Exhibit 82: Telefonica SA - Key offerings
- Exhibit 83: Telefonica SA - Segment focus
- 11.10 Udacity Inc.
- Exhibit 84: Udacity Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 85: Udacity Inc. - Product and service
- Exhibit 86: Udacity Inc. - Key offerings
- 11.11 Udemy Inc.
- Exhibit 87: Udemy Inc. - Overview
- Exhibit 88: Udemy Inc. - Product and service
- Exhibit 89: Udemy Inc. - Key offerings
- 11.12 XuetangX
- Exhibit 90: XuetangX - Overview
- Exhibit 91: XuetangX - Product and service
- Exhibit 92: XuetangX - Key offerings
- 12.1 Scope of the report
- 12.2 Currency conversion rates for US$
- Exhibit 93: Currency conversion rates for US$
- 12.3 Research methodology
- Exhibit 94: Research Methodology
- Exhibit 95: Validation techniques employed for market sizing
- Exhibit 96: Information sources
- 12.4 List of abbreviations
- Exhibit 97: List of abbreviations
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape
Get your FREE sample now!
Frequently Asked Questions?
- Rise in regional MOOCs
- Extensive application of MOOCs in c orporate t raining
Get the report (PDF) sent to your email within minutes.
Subscribe & Save
Get lifetime access to our
Did you know?
Did you know?
Did you know?
Want to customize this report?
This report can be personalized according to your needs. Our analysts and industry experts will work directly with you to understand your requirements and provide you with customized data in a short amount of time.