Over The Top Market by Content Type and Geography - Forecast and Analysis 2020-2024
- Published: Nov 2021
- Pages: 120
- SKU: IRTNTR41626
Enjoy complimentary customisation on priority with our Enterprise License!
One user only.
Quick & easy download option
Unlimited user access (Within your organization)
Complimentary Customization Included
The over the top (ott) market share is expected to increase by USD 88.85 billion from 2019 to 2024, and the market's growth momentum will accelerate at a CAGR of 13.55%. This over the top (ott) market research report provides valuable insights on the post COVID-19 impact on the market, which will help companies evaluate their business approaches. The over the top (ott) market report also offers information on several market vendors, including 8*8 Inc., Alphabet Inc., Amazon.com Inc., Apple Inc., Comcast Corp., Microsoft Corp., Netflix Inc., Sirius XM Holdings Inc., Spotify Technology SA, and The Walt Disney Co. among others. Furthermore, this report extensively covers over the top (ott) market segmentation by content type (video, text and images, VoIP, and music streaming) and geography (North America, Europe, APAC, and South America).
What will the Over The Top (OTT) Market Size be During the Forecast Period?
Download the Free Report Sample to Unlock the Over The Top (OTT) Market Size for the Forecast Period and Other Important Statistics
Over The Top (OTT) Market: Key Drivers, Trends, and Challenges
Based on our research output, there has been a positive impact on the market growth during and post COVID-19 era. The growing preference for cloud streaming services is notably driving the over the top (ott) market growth, although factors such as illegal downloading and piracy may impede market growth. Our research analysts have studied the historical data and deduced the key market drivers and the COVID-19 pandemic impact on the over the top (ott) industry. The holistic analysis of the drivers will help in deducing end goals and refining marketing strategies to gain a competitive edge.
Key Over The Top (OTT) Market Driver
The growing preference for cloud streaming services is notably driving the over the top (ott) market growth. Developments in wired and wireless technologies and telecommunication standards, such as 3G, 4G, and 5G, are increasing the adoption of cloud streaming services across the world. Consumers have shifted from the use of iPods and music systems to cloud-based streaming services, which allow users to store, download, stream, and share content. Cloud computing is rapidly being adopted by firms because it provides users legal access to online music, even from remote servers, irrespective of the device used. Many companies, such as Amazon.com and Google, are dependent on the cloud to meet the growing demand for music, movies, and videos. The cloud acts as a remote locker for downloaded tracks. Such developments are expected to help content companies generate higher revenues from cloud streaming. In addition, several cloud streaming applications provide social media integration, which allows consumers to personalize preferences and content. The growing Internet penetration, adoption of push strategies by market players, and better cloud streaming services will encourage consumers to adopt cloud streaming services during the forecast period.
Key Over The Top (OTT) Market Trend
Growing wearables with music streaming is the key trend driving the over the top (ott) market growth. Wearable technology is a rapidly growing segment of the global consumer electronics market. End-users are increasingly adopting smartwatches, such as Apple Watch, Moto 360, LG G Watch, and SAMSUNG Gear. Smartwatches replicate the smartphone experience by acting as a schedule manager and notification hub. They can also document the distance and location of an individual's workouts via GPS, monitor heart rate, and track sleep. However, smartwatch manufacturers are now focusing on integrating music playback options in their devices, which will drive the market for OTT. Furthermore, OTT service providers are developing compatible applications for these devices. SAMSUNG Gear S3 works with Spotify to offer offline playlist syncing. These apps enable direct access to OTT services via wearable devices. They allow users to listen to music on the go at their convenience. Further advances in smartwatch technology and wireless connectivity are expected to allow live OTT services to be compatible with these devices. Therefore, the increasing launch of wearables with offline and live OTT streaming services will drive the growth of the market in focus during the forecast period.
Key Over The Top (OTT) Market Challenge
The major challenge impeding the over the top (ott) market growth is illegal downloading and piracy. The changing business model, such as the shift to digital music, has made it more difficult to curb piracy. The growing Internet base has increased the probability of pirated physical and digital copies of OTT services being made available online. The easy availability of content and the lack of digital piracy laws in many countries allow consumers to download data without any major consequences. In addition, location piracy is also on the rise, involving a virtual private network (VPN) or a false location app to access content for free. It is also causing a loss of revenue for broadcasters. This restricts individuals from opting for OTT streaming services. India has a significant incidence of digital piracy, with the majority of its films and music being downloaded illegally. This impacts the sales of original streaming services. It affects the revenue inflow in the over the top (OTT) market, especially in the content publishing segment.
This over the top (ott) market analysis report also provides detailed information on other upcoming trends and challenges that will have a far-reaching effect on the market growth. The actionable insights on the trends and challenges will help companies evaluate and develop growth strategies for 2020-2024.
Parent Market Analysis
Technavio categorizes the global over the top (OTT) market as a part of the global interactive media and services market. Our research report has extensively covered external factors influencing the parent market growth potential in the coming years, which will determine the levels of growth of the over the top (ott) market during the forecast period.
Who are the Major Over The Top (OTT) Market Vendors?
The report analyzes the market's competitive landscape and offers information on several market vendors, including:
- 8*8 Inc.
- Alphabet Inc.
- Amazon.com Inc.
- Apple Inc.
- Comcast Corp.
- Microsoft Corp.
- Netflix Inc.
- Sirius XM Holdings Inc.
- Spotify Technology SA
- The Walt Disney Co.
This statistical study of the over the top (ott) market encompasses successful business strategies deployed by the key vendors. The over the top (ott) market is fragmented and the vendors are deploying organic and inorganic growth strategies to compete in the market.
Product Insights and News
- Netflix Inc. - The company offers over-the-top products under the brand name Netflix
To make the most of the opportunities and recover from post COVID-19 impact, market vendors should focus more on the growth prospects in the fast-growing segments, while maintaining their positions in the slow-growing segments.
The over the top (ott) market forecast report offers in-depth insights into key vendor profiles. The profiles include information on the production, sustainability, and prospects of the leading companies.
Over The Top (OTT) Market Value Chain Analysis
Our report provides extensive information on the value chain analysis for the over the top (ott) market, which vendors can leverage to gain a competitive advantage during the forecast period. The end-to-end understanding of the value chain is essential in profit margin optimization and evaluation of business strategies. The data available in our value chain analysis segment can help vendors drive costs and enhance customer services during the forecast period.
The report has further elucidated on other innovative approaches being followed by service providers to ensure a sustainable market presence.
Which are the Key Regions for Over The Top (OTT) Market?
For more insights on the market share of various regions Request for a FREE sample now!
34% of the market's growth will originate from North America during the forecast period. US and Canada are the key markets for over the top (ott) market in North America. Market growth in this region will be slower than the growth of the market in other regions.
The presence of key market players such as Facebook, Netflix, and Amazon will facilitate the over the top (ott) market growth in North America over the forecast period. This market research report entails detailed information on the competitive intelligence, marketing gaps, and regional opportunities in store for vendors, which will assist in creating efficient business plans.
COVID Impact and Recovery Analysis
In 2020, the outbreak of COVID-19 positively impacted the over the top (OTT) market in North America. Due to the implementation of lockdown restrictions in 2020, nearly 14.7 million new homes in the US streamed OTT content in a month between January 2020 and June 2021. Moreover, around 82.4 million households in the US streamed an average of 100 hours of OTT content in June 2021. Therefore, the market is projected to grow significantly during the forecast period.
What are the Revenue-generating Content Type Segments in the Over The Top (OTT) Market?
To gain further insights on the market contribution of various segments Request for a FREE sample
The over the top (ott) market share growth by the video segment will be significant during the forecast period. The market for video on demand is anticipated to witness significant growth during the forecast period owing to the increasing availability of video content. The increase in the shipment of smart devices such as smartphones and tablets has led to an increase in demand for video content.
This report provides an accurate prediction of the contribution of all the segments to the growth of the over the top (ott) market size and actionable market insights on post COVID-19 impact on each segment.
Over The Top (OTT) Market Scope
Growth momentum & CAGR
Accelerate at a CAGR of 13.55%
Market growth 2020-2024
$ 88.85 billion
YoY growth (%)
North America, Europe, APAC, South America, North America, Europe, APAC, and South America
Performing market contribution
North America at 34%
Key consumer countries
US, China, Canada, and Germany
Leading companies, Competitive strategies, Consumer engagement scope
Key companies profiled
8*8 Inc., Alphabet Inc., Amazon.com Inc., Apple Inc., Comcast Corp., Microsoft Corp., Netflix Inc., Sirius XM Holdings Inc., Spotify Technology SA, and The Walt Disney Co.
Parent market analysis, Market growth inducers and obstacles, Fast-growing and slow-growing segment analysis, COVID 19 impact and recovery analysis and future consumer dynamics, Market condition analysis for forecast period
If our report has not included the data that you are looking for, you can reach out to our analysts and get segments customized.
What are the Key Data Covered in this Over The Top (OTT) Market Report?
- CAGR of the market during the forecast period 2020-2024
- Detailed information on factors that will drive over the top (ott) market growth during the next five years
- Precise estimation of the over the top (ott) market size and its contribution to the parent market
- Accurate predictions on upcoming trends and changes in consumer behavior
- The growth of the over the top (ott) industry across North America, Europe, APAC, South America, North America, Europe, APAC, and South America
- A thorough analysis of the market's competitive landscape and detailed information on vendors
- Comprehensive details of factors that will challenge the growth of over the top (ott) market vendors
We can help! Our analysts can customize this report to meet your requirements. Get in touch
1 Executive Summary
2 Market Landscape
- 2.1 Market ecosystem
- Exhibit 01: Parent market
- Exhibit 02: Market characteristics
- 2.2 Value chain analysis
- Exhibit 03: Value chain analysis: Interactive mediaand services
3 Market Sizing
- 3.1 Market definition
- Exhibit 04: Offerings of vendors included in the market definition
- 3.2 Market segment analysis
- Exhibit 05: Market segments
- 3.3 Market size 2020
- 3.4 Market outlook: Forecast for 2020 - 2025
- Exhibit 06: Global - Market size and forecast 2020 - 2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 07: Global market: Year-over-year growth 2020 - 2025 (%)
4 Five Forces Analysis
- 4.1 Five forces summary
- Exhibit 08: Five forces analysis 2020 & 2025
- 4.2 Bargaining power of buyers
- Exhibit 09: Bargaining power of buyers
- 4.3 Bargaining power of suppliers
- Exhibit 10: Bargaining power of suppliers
- 4.4 Threat of new entrants
- Exhibit 11: Threat of new entrants
- 4.5 Threat of substitutes
- Exhibit 12: Threat of substitutes
- 4.6 Threat of rivalry
- Exhibit 13: Threat of rivalry
- 4.7 Market condition
- Exhibit 14: Market condition - Five forces 2020
5 Market Segmentation by Content type
- 5.1 Market segments
- Exhibit 15: Content type - Market share 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.2 Comparison by Content type
- Exhibit 16: Comparison by Content type
- 5.3 Video - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 17: Video - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 18: Video - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.4 Text and images - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 19: Text and images - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 20: Text and images - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.5 VoIP - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 21: VoIP - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 22: VoIP - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.6 Music streaming - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 23: Music streaming - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 24: Music streaming - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 5.7 Market opportunity by Content type
- Exhibit 25: Market opportunity by Content type
6 Customer landscape
7 Geographic Landscape
- 7.1 Geographic segmentation
- Exhibit 27: Market share by geography 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.2 Geographic comparison
- Exhibit 28: Geographic comparison
- 7.3 North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 29: North America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 30: North America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.4 Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 31: Europe - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 32: Europe - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.5 APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 33: APAC - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 34: APAC - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.6 South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 35: South America - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 36: South America - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.7 MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025
- Exhibit 37: MEA - Market size and forecast 2020-2025 ($ billion)
- Exhibit 38: MEA - Year-over-year growth 2020-2025 (%)
- 7.8 Key leading countries
- Exhibit 39: Key leading countries
- 7.9 Market opportunity by geography
- Exhibit 40: Market opportunity by geography
8 Drivers, Challenges, and Trends
- 8.1 Market drivers
- 8.2 Market challenges
- Exhibit 41: Impact of drivers and challenges
- 8.3 Market trends
9 Vendor Landscape
- 9.1 Overview
- 9.2 Vendor landscape
- Exhibit 42: Vendor landscape
- 9.3 Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 43: Landscape disruption
- Exhibit 44: Industry risks
10 Vendor Analysis
- 10.1 Vendors covered
- Exhibit 45: Vendors covered
- 10.2 Market positioning of vendors
- 10.3 8x8
Technavio presents a detailed picture of the market by way of study, synthesis, and summation of data from multiple sources. The analysts have presented the various facets of the market with a particular focus on identifying the key industry influencers. The data thus presented is comprehensive, reliable, and the result of extensive research, both primary and secondary.
- Market size and forecast
- Market segmentation
- Geographical insights
- Competitive landscape
Get your sample now!
Frequently Asked Questions?
- Growing preference for cloud streaming services
- Growing number of partnerships and acquisitions
Key Questions Answered
- What are the key global market and the regional market share?
- What are the revenue-generating key market segments?
- What are the key factors driving and challenging this market’s growth?
- Who are the key market vendors and their growth strategies?
- What are the latest trends influencing the growth of this market?
- What are the variables influencing the market growth in the primary regions?
- What are the factors influencing the growth of the parent market?
Why should you prefer Technavio's market insights report?
Certified ISO 9001 : 2015
We are ISO 9001:2015 recognized that ensures quality services and product delivery to our clients.
We are GDPR and CCPA compliant! Your transaction & personal information is protected from unauthorized use.
One user only.
Quick & easy download option
Unlimited user access (Within your organization)
Complimentary Customization Included
Get the report (PDF) sent to your email within minutes.
Subscribe & Save
Get lifetime access to our
Did you know?
Did you know?
Did you know?
Customized Report as per your Business Needs
- Our analysts will work directly with you and understand your needs
- Get data on specified regions or segments, competitor and Vendors
- Data will be formatted and presented as per your requirements
- We offer $1000 worth of FREE customization at the time of purchase
Let us help you make report more suited to your requirements.
- Get a competitive breakdown as per your niche industry
- Customize the data with various metrics that meet your business prerequisite
- Understand Revenue Sources, Customers and many more
- Details on Market Share
- These customizations are done in a short amount of time by our analysts and industry experts